Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

After going through the TurboTax process for tax filing I owe $2700 in Federal taxes and I plan to use TurboTax to file but want to pay IRS in installments. How?

TurboTax says I need to pay the full amount before they file but I want to pay in installments somehow and I'm searching for how but no luck yet.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

After going through the TurboTax process for tax filing I owe $2700 in Federal taxes and I plan to use TurboTax to file but want to pay IRS in installments. How?

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.

Federal and state returns must be in separate envelopes and they are mailed to different addresses.  Read the mailing instructions that print with your tax return carefully so you mail them to the right addresses.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

For your purposes, select "I'll mail a check" payment option.

@greenbriarhudson 

The IRS has had some receipt issues in the past couple of years -- both for payments and returns.  First, file the return online and  indicate that you will mail a check -- and if you can pay any amount by April 15 do that by sending check to the address indicated (It should be on your payment voucher).  Then do one of two things -- login to or create an account at IRS.gov.   Keep checking and when the IRS receives your return they will post that they have it.   You will then be able to setup an installment account.  If you don't want to do that now, the IRS will eventually send you a paper notice of what is due (once again they are behind so you may need some patience.)  With that letter you will be told to either fill out form 9465 or (preferably) to go online at irs.gov, login or create your account and then create an installment plan along with whether you want it directly debited from your bank account or want to send in checks.  If you try to set up an installment account before they 'see' that they have your return they may fumble on the receive (I've seen this happen with a couple of people.)   Good luck!

Drrichieb

How do I print a copy of my federal return for 2022

@Drrichieb

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/prior-year-return/help/how-do-i-get-a-copy-of-a-return-i-filed-thi...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

@Drrichieb wrote:

How do I print a copy of my federal return for 2022

To access your current or prior year online tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the User ID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and on the section Your tax returns & documents.  Click on the Year and Click on Download/print return (PDF)

Or -

When you sign onto your online account and land on the Tax Home web page, scroll down and click on Add a state. 

This will take you back to the 2022 online tax return.

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the online program screen.  Then click on Print Center.  Then click on Print, save or preview this year's return.  Choose the option Include government and TurboTax worksheets

fanfare is correct. TurboTax doesn't know what to do when you're trying to pay less than what's due right now.  The only way I know of is to tell TT that you'll pay by check, and then send your payment manually not through the software.

A warning though, technically you're not in compliance when you follow a self-imposed payment plan.  The IRS may charge you late fees and interest.  If you prefer to follow the rulebook, especially if you can't pay this off quickly, you'd need to tell the IRS you need an installment agreement.  There's a bunch of info about it on the IRS.gov website.

applying for and getting an installment plan will eliminate late payment penalties but not interest.

I assumed that was your intent.

Your payment period options are limited.

@greenbriarhudson 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies