turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Accidently signed myself up for the "deluxe" filing, but this takes money off my return to pay for the service which I no longer want. How do I revert back to free?

Said in order to accept some extra money towards being a student in college, I needed to upgrade to this "deluxe" service. Now that my tax sumbission was rejected and fixed some issues being a dependent on another filing person, I can no longer get that college money, but am still being charged with pulling money from my return to pay for this service I no longer want...how do I revert my account back to free?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Accidently signed myself up for the "deluxe" filing, but this takes money off my return to pay for the service which I no longer want. How do I revert back to free?

If you have not paid for the online edition you are using, have not filed your tax return or registered the Free edition, then you can clear your return and start over with a lower priced edition. Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the program screen while working on the 2023 online tax return. Click on Clear & Start Over.

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

There are two ways to switch to a cheaper TurboTax Online product: Switch to Free Edition and Clear and Start Over.

You can’t switch if you already paid with a credit card or had your TurboTax fees deducted from your refund.

Switch to Free

You can use Free Edition by selecting Tax Tools in the left menu, then Switch to Free Edition. Selecting this option keeps all the data you’ve entered so far.

Note: TurboTax Free Edition is for customers who are filing Form 1040 and limited credits only. Roughly 37% of taxpayers qualify. If you have additional forms or attachments, you’ll need to use a different TurboTax product.

Clear and start over

You can also clear and start over to switch to a different product. This option erases your information to give you a fresh start in the new product you've chosen.

Related Information:

@bjw9950-gmail-co 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies