Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

401K with spouse

Hello,

I recently got married this year. Me and my wife both had maximize our 401K contribution till last year. We are not sure if we will file jointly or separately for year 2021. This year we got married and have following questions

- Can we both contribute 19,500 to 401K this year. Is 19,500 limit for individual person or for couples

- If my wife is unemployed in future, what impact it has on my 401K contribution ? Does it increase my limit

- Is there anything which change from 401k point of view after we are married 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

401K with spouse

401(k)s are individual accounts. Each of you can contribute $19,500 to your separate accounts (plus an additional $6,500 if either of your are turning age 50 or older in 2021).

Your wife's employment status will not affect your 401(k) contribution. If she is not employed, she will not be able to contribute to her 401(k).

If you both maximize your 401(k) amounts, then there is nothing to change, unless you want to reduce one or both of your contribution amounts. Sometimes when two people get married, it's helpful to increase 401(k) contributions to lower your total income. This doe not apply if you are both at the max.

If you file together for 2021, your tax rate will be based on your combined income. Sometimes this results in more tax than if you filed as single. The tax tables are adjusted for married filing separately. This only applies when going from two single fliers to either married joint or two married filing separate returns.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies