Buw1sK0

2021 tax

I'm unemployed this year 2021.  My last unemployment paycheck was las June of 2021.  I have received approximately $12,000 from unemployment.  How do I file the amount?  I mean,  have no information other than the mount that went in to my bank.  Will I receive a form with my total income from unemployment?  How do I file it?

2021 tax

You will receive a Form 1099-G from your state for the unemployment compensation you received in 2021.  The Form 1099-G should be mailed to you in January or February of 2022.  Although some states require you to go to their state unemployment department website for the 1099-G.

Unemployment compensation is taxable income that is required to be entered on your tax return.  

2021 tax

@Buw1sK0 wrote:

Great information!

I also received a tax refund of roughly $2,200.  Is that taxable this year?

Federal tax refunds are never reported as income on a federal tax return.

2021 tax

Buw1sK0

2021 tax

Great information!

2021 tax

@Buw1sK0 wrote:

Great information!

Buw1sK0

2021 tax

Thank you so much!

David_EA

2021 tax

Hello @Buw1sK0! You can expect to receive a Form 1099-G "Certain Government Payments". You will be able to file it just as you would any other document. In TurboTax, use the spy glass/search button on the top right of the page to search the form number and it will provide a 'Jump To' link for you. Click on that link and it'll take to the right place to input your Form 1099-G. 

Here is a link if you'd like to have more in-depth info on this topic:  https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/unemployment/guide-to-unemployment-and-taxes/L1uajNdHD

Chanastyle

2021 tax

How do I file my taxes for 2021

2021 tax

@Chanastyle  wrote:

How do I file my taxes for 2021

The 2021 tax year will not end until after 12/31/2021 so you cannot complete or file a 2021 tax return until next year in 2022.

Stella51

2021 tax

I only have social security.  Nothing else @ links to members content 

ErnieS0

2021 tax

You do not have to file an income tax return if your only income was Social Security benefits @Stella51.

If did not received the third stimulus of $1,400, you can file to claim it as a Recovery Rebate Credit that will be added to your refund.

The IRS says: "You must file a return to claim the credit, even if you don't usually file a tax return."

For more info see Recovery Rebate Credit