turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

2021 tax

I'm unemployed this year 2021.  My last unemployment paycheck was las June of 2021.  I have received approximately $12,000 from unemployment.  How do I file the amount?  I mean,  have no information other than the mount that went in to my bank.  Will I receive a form with my total income from unemployment?  How do I file it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

2021 tax

You will receive a Form 1099-G from your state for the unemployment compensation you received in 2021.  The Form 1099-G should be mailed to you in January or February of 2022.  Although some states require you to go to their state unemployment department website for the 1099-G.

Unemployment compensation is taxable income that is required to be entered on your tax return.  

View solution in original post

2021 tax

@Buw1sK0 wrote:

Great information!

I also received a tax refund of roughly $2,200.  Is that taxable this year?

Federal tax refunds are never reported as income on a federal tax return.

View solution in original post

9 Replies

2021 tax

You will receive a Form 1099-G from your state for the unemployment compensation you received in 2021.  The Form 1099-G should be mailed to you in January or February of 2022.  Although some states require you to go to their state unemployment department website for the 1099-G.

Unemployment compensation is taxable income that is required to be entered on your tax return.  

2021 tax

Great information!

2021 tax

@Buw1sK0 wrote:

Great information!

Federal tax refunds are never reported as income on a federal tax return.

2021 tax

Thank you so much!

David_EA
Expert Alumni

2021 tax

Hello @Buw1sK0! You can expect to receive a Form 1099-G "Certain Government Payments". You will be able to file it just as you would any other document. In TurboTax, use the spy glass/search button on the top right of the page to search the form number and it will provide a 'Jump To' link for you. Click on that link and it'll take to the right place to input your Form 1099-G. 

Here is a link if you'd like to have more in-depth info on this topic:  https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/unemployment/guide-to-unemployment-and-taxes/L1uajNdHD

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Chanastyle
Returning Member

2021 tax

How do I file my taxes for 2021

2021 tax

@Chanastyle  wrote:

How do I file my taxes for 2021

The 2021 tax year will not end until after 12/31/2021 so you cannot complete or file a 2021 tax return until next year in 2022.

Stella51
Returning Member

2021 tax

I only have social security.  Nothing else @ links to members content 

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

2021 tax

You do not have to file an income tax return if your only income was Social Security benefits @Stella51.

If did not received the third stimulus of $1,400, you can file to claim it as a Recovery Rebate Credit that will be added to your refund.

The IRS says: "You must file a return to claim the credit, even if you don't usually file a tax return."

For more info see Recovery Rebate Credit

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies