turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099-nec link to schedule c issue

Since turbotax is still trying to resolve the 1099-nec/schedule c issue ( https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/why-can-not-link-my-1099-nec-in-turbotax-online/01... ) will I lose my early filing discount if they do not fix it by the early filing deadline? I always file early because of the discount and am disappointed in this delay. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

Currently there is a known issue when using TurboTax Online that is related to the program asking you to double-click to link to Schedule C. 

Please review the article below and use the link in the article to enter your email address to be notified once this is resolved:  

TurboTax: Why Am I Unable to Link my 1099-NEC?

Also you can review the information below for a possible steps to solve the issue.  

Income reported on Form 1099-NEC must be reported on Schedule C, the program is trying to link these two forms together to be sure that it is reported correctly and on the right form.

Revisit the section where you entered the Form 1099-NEC if you entered it on its own and delete that entry, by following these steps:

1. Open TurboTax.
  2. On the top right corner of TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner).
  3. Type in “1099-NEC” (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find),
  4. Click on “Jump to 1099-NEC
  5. Click on the blue “Jump to 1099-NEC” link

This will bring you a summary of all Form 1099-NEC that you have entered.  Click Delete or the trash can icon next to each one.

Next, you will re-enter the Form 1099-NEC as part of the Schedule C so that the income is reported directly as part of your Business Income and Expenses and within the correct form and section of your return.

Follow these steps to go to the Schedule C section of your return:

1. On the top right corner of TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner).
  2. Type in “schedule c” (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find).
  3. Click on “Jump to schedule c”.
  4. Click on the blue “Jump to schedule c” link

If you already have created a Schedule C in your return, click on edit and go to the section to Add Income.  This is where you will re-enter the Form 1099-NEC. 

If you do not already have a Schedule C in your return, follow the prompts and enter the information about your work/business for which you received the Form 1099-NEC.  Then continue through that section to Add Income and enter the Form 1099-NEC along with any additional income you received for that business.  

Once you have completed this, the error should be eliminated. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
furtak06410
Returning Member

I am using the on-line version of TT.  Can you please advise the status of this?  I am getting the following issue to fix, "A Link to Schedule C and a link to either Schedule F, Form 8919 (Wages) or the Other Income statement have been selected to report nonemployee compensation.  Only one can be selected.  You must remove the link that is not applicable".  I've re-checked my entries in the income portion for the 1099-NEC and I don't see anything relating to this.  I'm all set to electronically file and this is the only thing holding me up.  Thank you

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

Please see this TurboTax Help article to resolve the 1099-NEC issue:  Resolved: Why am I not able to link my 1099-NEC?

@furtak06410

furtak06410
Returning Member

Thank you for your advice with my 1099-NEC issue with TT on-line.  I reviewed the article "Resolved: Why am I not able to link my 1099-NEC" and that is not working for me.  I am not getting to where I can select "Delete Confirmation".  Here is what I an seeing when I click Review - I am getting a screen that says "Some of Carolyn's self-employment taxes may be eligible for deferral" and since that does not apply to us I clicked on Continue.  The next screen says "Let's comb through your returns one last time with completecheck" and I clicked on Check my info.  The next screen is "You're just about ready to file. But first....." and I click on continue and I'm back to the issue with the 1099-NEC. 

Intuit

furtak06410
Returning Member

I found a way to do this in the Community so I am all set.  Search for and the suggestions in the first post worked for me. 

I have a 1099-NEC and when I try to finish and file, it brings up a box about my schedule C but no matter what number i put in it, it doesn’t fix the issue. What do I do?

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

The way to fix this issue is to delete Form 1099-NEC and re-enter it. This can be done during the Review.

Proceed through the screens during the review until you get to the screen entitled Delete Confirmation for Form 1099-NEC. Select Yes for your 1099-NEC.

Next, return to your Schedule C by typing in schedule c in the search. Then, click the Jump to link.

Enter Form 1099-NEC under Common Income and continue. This should correct the issue. Run the Review again.

For more information, see: What is Form 1099-NEC?

@furtake06410

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies