Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099-k offsetting?

How do i offset the personal items items i sold on ebay as i am not a business.

I entered 1099-K as received in Other reportable income now i need to offset the cost where do i enter that?

I was going by this.

Option 2 in TurboTax Deluxe or higher: reporting it via Other Miscellaneous Income is acceptable to the IRS.

1. From the left menu, go to Federal and select the first tab, Wages & Income
  2. Add more income by scrolling down to the last option, Less Common Income, and Show more
  3. Scroll down to the last option, Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C and Start
  4. Choose the last option, Other reportable income and Start and Yes
  5. Enter the applicable description and amount and Continue
    • First, enter Form 1099-K as received. It is essential that the full amount be entered.
      • For a description, include Form 1099-K and Personal Property Sales
    • Next, enter an adjustment to reflect the cost of these items as an offsetting, negative amount up to the amount of the income.
      • For the cost description, include Form 1099-K and Cost of Personal Property 
      • In other words, if the goods cost you $100 and Form 1099-K was for $10 in sales, the maximum cost allowable would be $10.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

1099-k offsetting?

To clarify where to enter the negative amount:

1. Go back to Option 2, Step 5. Enter the applicable description and amount and Continue. (For example, the entries were Description Personal Property Sales and 100)
  2. TurboTax now shows Other Miscellaneous Income Summary
  3. Select +Add Another Income Item on the lower left side.
  4. At Other Taxable Income enter Cost of Personal Property for description and the negative amount and Continue. (To continue with the example, the amount would be -100.)
  5. Now returned to Other Miscellaneous Income Summary, select Done.

@David971

View solution in original post

19 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

1099-k offsetting?

That is well laid out and works. The point is to  eliminate the income. We had a conversation and one of the managers had the idea of using Sch D as well. Another said she would be tempted to not report it. I am super conservative when it comes to the IRS. As long as you claim the income and then eliminate it, you are fine. The method you found above works and seems easy to follow. The part where it says to enter an adjustment- that is the key where you will enter a matching amount to zero out the income.

You already entered: 1099k, personal property sales and amount.

Next, enter 1099k, cost of personal property, negative same amount

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

1099-k offsetting?

I don't know where to enter this info at?

enter an adjustment to reflect the cost of these items as an offsetting, negative amount up to the amount of the income.

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

1099-k offsetting?

To clarify where to enter the negative amount:

1. Go back to Option 2, Step 5. Enter the applicable description and amount and Continue. (For example, the entries were Description Personal Property Sales and 100)
  2. TurboTax now shows Other Miscellaneous Income Summary
  3. Select +Add Another Income Item on the lower left side.
  4. At Other Taxable Income enter Cost of Personal Property for description and the negative amount and Continue. (To continue with the example, the amount would be -100.)
  5. Now returned to Other Miscellaneous Income Summary, select Done.

@David971

1099-k offsetting?

I found where to enter it!

1099-k offsetting?

Correct ... selling personal items for a loss is not deductible so all you can do is offset the income to zero it out.  

1099-k offsetting?

I think the offset is the best option for me.

I tired to enter it as a hobby and i had to pay tax on the reported amount on the 1099-k even though it was a complete loss.

I also used schedule c like most suggest but then i was taxed at a higher rate but i could have deductions but after reading more into it this way would only work for a short time as you can not claim a complete loss every year as a business.

1099-k offsetting?

Does this still apply in 2022 to work?

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

1099-k offsetting?

If you receive this form 1099-K for selling a used electronic item you no longer need on Ebay, you most probably sold this item for less than you paid for them. You have made a loss on personal items. This loss on personal items is not deductible and is not reported on your tax return.

If this is the case, you do not need to report this form 1099-K on your tax return. Just keep it in your tax records along with any proof that it was for the sale of the electronic item.

Please read this TurboTax Help topic for more information.

@ijanderson29

Cdlow23

1099-k offsetting?

Wondering if my same situation would apply? 

I bought concert tickets for 8 friends at $173 a piece (back before covid). I just sold 4 of them at $150 each and am now getting a 1099K from ticketmaster since the gross income is $600. I will have to fill out this 1099 come tax season but I also need to offset this as I’m actually taking a loss in the long run on these 4 tickets. Would I follow this same process? 

Thanks so much in advance, this has been a real headache. 

1099-k offsetting?

there seems to be a difference of opinion on reporting - one opinion 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-credits-deductions/discussion/1099-k-for-personal-items-sold/0... 

another

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/1099-k-amp-personal-items/00/78901 (the link in the thread does not work)

here's another that suggests reporting on form 8949

https://www.lawofficesofjasonknott.com/where-to-report-form-1099-k-on-your-tax-return/ 

all this shows is no one is absolutely sure how to report a 1099-K for the sale of personal items.  the article by Knott does have some logic in that the IRS has no way of knowing that the proceeds were from the sale of personal items sold at a loss. I would use schedule 1 misc income and not 8949.  not reporting it could result in an IRS notice adjusting your return.  you would then have to dispute the change. addressing the issue upfront should avoid the notice.

others may hold to the opinion not to report it at all. 

if you report on your return, the cost would be equal to the sales price since no loss is allowed on the sale of personal items

ltbailey0

1099-k offsetting?

This works for federal but does not import accurately to my state return (NJ).  Trying to put negative amounts on the 'Other Wage Adjustments' or 'Other Non-Wage Income' sections does not seem to work.  Any suggestions for how to address?  I'm thinking somehow deleting the income/ form from my state return would make the most sense since I maintain support for why it's erroneous income.

ltbailey0

1099-k offsetting?

Do you know how to get this to cascade down to state tax returns (NJ)?

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

1099-k offsetting?

This method still works and should carry over on to your state return with the net amount showing up there.  

You can re-enter the negative amount into your New Jersey return if necessary to get the taxable amount to where it should be.  But if it was entered correctly on the federal return then it should be carrying to the New Jersey return as well.  

I suggest you re-check your original entries.

@ltbailey0 

Lbailey0

1099-k offsetting?

Thanks for the quick reply! I've rechecked the entries on the federal and confirmed the income has offset. TurboTax is not pulling the offsetting entry to the NJ state return. Further, when I plug in the negative/ offsetting amounts on the NJ return it is not taking effect as evidenced by the 1099k amount still showing on the income summary page. 

There was an issue the last 2 years with TurboTax not allowing negative numbers which resulted in me having to print my state return and I'm skeptical that the issue has been fixed. Can you escalate?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies