or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
David971
Level 2

1099-k offsetting?

How do i offset the personal items items i sold on ebay as i am not a business.

I entered 1099-K as received in Other reportable income now i need to offset the cost where do i enter that?

I was going by this.

Option 2 in TurboTax Deluxe or higher: reporting it via Other Miscellaneous Income is acceptable to the IRS.

1. From the left menu, go to Federal and select the first tab, Wages & Income
  2. Add more income by scrolling down to the last option, Less Common Income, and Show more
  3. Scroll down to the last option, Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C and Start
  4. Choose the last option, Other reportable income and Start and Yes
  5. Enter the applicable description and amount and Continue
    • First, enter Form 1099-K as received. It is essential that the full amount be entered.
      • For a description, include Form 1099-K and Personal Property Sales
    • Next, enter an adjustment to reflect the cost of these items as an offsetting, negative amount up to the amount of the income.
      • For the cost description, include Form 1099-K and Cost of Personal Property 
      • In other words, if the goods cost you $100 and Form 1099-K was for $10 in sales, the maximum cost allowable would be $10.
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

1099-k offsetting?

To clarify where to enter the negative amount:

1. Go back to Option 2, Step 5. Enter the applicable description and amount and Continue. (For example, the entries were Description Personal Property Sales and 100)
  2. TurboTax now shows Other Miscellaneous Income Summary
  3. Select +Add Another Income Item on the lower left side.
  4. At Other Taxable Income enter Cost of Personal Property for description and the negative amount and Continue. (To continue with the example, the amount would be -100.)
  5. Now returned to Other Miscellaneous Income Summary, select Done.

@David971

View solution in original post

6 Replies
AmyC
Employee Tax Expert

1099-k offsetting?

That is well laid out and works. The point is to  eliminate the income. We had a conversation and one of the managers had the idea of using Sch D as well. Another said she would be tempted to not report it. I am super conservative when it comes to the IRS. As long as you claim the income and then eliminate it, you are fine. The method you found above works and seems easy to follow. The part where it says to enter an adjustment- that is the key where you will enter a matching amount to zero out the income.

You already entered: 1099k, personal property sales and amount.

Next, enter 1099k, cost of personal property, negative same amount

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
David971
Level 2

1099-k offsetting?

I don't know where to enter this info at?

enter an adjustment to reflect the cost of these items as an offsetting, negative amount up to the amount of the income.

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

1099-k offsetting?

To clarify where to enter the negative amount:

1. Go back to Option 2, Step 5. Enter the applicable description and amount and Continue. (For example, the entries were Description Personal Property Sales and 100)
  2. TurboTax now shows Other Miscellaneous Income Summary
  3. Select +Add Another Income Item on the lower left side.
  4. At Other Taxable Income enter Cost of Personal Property for description and the negative amount and Continue. (To continue with the example, the amount would be -100.)
  5. Now returned to Other Miscellaneous Income Summary, select Done.

@David971

View solution in original post

David971
Level 2

1099-k offsetting?

I found where to enter it!

Critter-3
Level 15

1099-k offsetting?

Correct ... selling personal items for a loss is not deductible so all you can do is offset the income to zero it out.  

David971
Level 2

1099-k offsetting?

I think the offset is the best option for me.

I tired to enter it as a hobby and i had to pay tax on the reported amount on the 1099-k even though it was a complete loss.

I also used schedule c like most suggest but then i was taxed at a higher rate but i could have deductions but after reading more into it this way would only work for a short time as you can not claim a complete loss every year as a business.

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v