David971

1099-k offsetting?

How do i offset the personal items items i sold on ebay as i am not a business.

I entered 1099-K as received in Other reportable income now i need to offset the cost where do i enter that?

I was going by this.

Option 2 in TurboTax Deluxe or higher: reporting it via Other Miscellaneous Income is acceptable to the IRS.

1. From the left menu, go to Federal and select the first tab, Wages & Income
  2. Add more income by scrolling down to the last option, Less Common Income, and Show more
  3. Scroll down to the last option, Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C and Start
  4. Choose the last option, Other reportable income and Start and Yes
  5. Enter the applicable description and amount and Continue
    • First, enter Form 1099-K as received. It is essential that the full amount be entered.
      • For a description, include Form 1099-K and Personal Property Sales
    • Next, enter an adjustment to reflect the cost of these items as an offsetting, negative amount up to the amount of the income.
      • For the cost description, include Form 1099-K and Cost of Personal Property 
      • In other words, if the goods cost you $100 and Form 1099-K was for $10 in sales, the maximum cost allowable would be $10.

KathrynG3

1099-k offsetting?

To clarify where to enter the negative amount:

1. Go back to Option 2, Step 5. Enter the applicable description and amount and Continue. (For example, the entries were Description Personal Property Sales and 100)
  2. TurboTax now shows Other Miscellaneous Income Summary
  3. Select +Add Another Income Item on the lower left side.
  4. At Other Taxable Income enter Cost of Personal Property for description and the negative amount and Continue. (To continue with the example, the amount would be -100.)
  5. Now returned to Other Miscellaneous Income Summary, select Done.

@David971

AmyC

1099-k offsetting?

That is well laid out and works. The point is to  eliminate the income. We had a conversation and one of the managers had the idea of using Sch D as well. Another said she would be tempted to not report it. I am super conservative when it comes to the IRS. As long as you claim the income and then eliminate it, you are fine. The method you found above works and seems easy to follow. The part where it says to enter an adjustment- that is the key where you will enter a matching amount to zero out the income.

You already entered: 1099k, personal property sales and amount.

Next, enter 1099k, cost of personal property, negative same amount

David971

1099-k offsetting?

I don't know where to enter this info at?

enter an adjustment to reflect the cost of these items as an offsetting, negative amount up to the amount of the income.

KathrynG3

1099-k offsetting?

@David971

David971

1099-k offsetting?

I found where to enter it!

1099-k offsetting?

Correct ... selling personal items for a loss is not deductible so all you can do is offset the income to zero it out.  

David971

1099-k offsetting?

I think the offset is the best option for me.

I tired to enter it as a hobby and i had to pay tax on the reported amount on the 1099-k even though it was a complete loss.

I also used schedule c like most suggest but then i was taxed at a higher rate but i could have deductions but after reading more into it this way would only work for a short time as you can not claim a complete loss every year as a business.

ijanderson29

1099-k offsetting?

Does this still apply in 2022 to work?

Cynthiad66

1099-k offsetting?

If you receive this form 1099-K for selling a used electronic item you no longer need on Ebay, you most probably sold this item for less than you paid for them. You have made a loss on personal items. This loss on personal items is not deductible and is not reported on your tax return.

If this is the case, you do not need to report this form 1099-K on your tax return. Just keep it in your tax records along with any proof that it was for the sale of the electronic item.

Please read this TurboTax Help topic for more information.

@ijanderson29

Cdlow23

1099-k offsetting?

Wondering if my same situation would apply? 

I bought concert tickets for 8 friends at $173 a piece (back before covid). I just sold 4 of them at $150 each and am now getting a 1099K from ticketmaster since the gross income is $600. I will have to fill out this 1099 come tax season but I also need to offset this as I’m actually taking a loss in the long run on these 4 tickets. Would I follow this same process? 

Thanks so much in advance, this has been a real headache. 

Mike9241

1099-k offsetting?

there seems to be a difference of opinion on reporting - one opinion 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-credits-deductions/discussion/1099-k-for-personal-items-sold/0... 

another

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/1099-k-amp-personal-items/00/78901 (the link in the thread does not work)

here's another that suggests reporting on form 8949

https://www.lawofficesofjasonknott.com/where-to-report-form-1099-k-on-your-tax-return/ 

all this shows is no one is absolutely sure how to report a 1099-K for the sale of personal items.  the article by Knott does have some logic in that the IRS has no way of knowing that the proceeds were from the sale of personal items sold at a loss. I would use schedule 1 misc income and not 8949.  not reporting it could result in an IRS notice adjusting your return.  you would then have to dispute the change. addressing the issue upfront should avoid the notice.

others may hold to the opinion not to report it at all. 

if you report on your return, the cost would be equal to the sales price since no loss is allowed on the sale of personal items