turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I file form 8862??

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

You can use the steps below to help you get to where to fill out information for Form 8862 to add it to your tax return.

• Go to Search box in top right cover and click there to type in 8862 and hit enter
  • Then click on Jump to 8862 that appears in search results
  • This takes you to the screen Looks like the Earned Income Credit may put more money in your pocket
  • Click Continue and answer the next couple earned income (you have to answer through these) questions properly
  • On the Do any of these uncommon situations apply? screen, check the box next to I/we got a letter/notice from the IRS telling me/us to fill out an 8862 form to claim the Earned Income Credit.
  • Click Continue and then Done
  • Next screen is Since you got an IRS notice, we need to check on a few things 
  • Answer No, none of these apply and I need to fill out the 8862 form and Continue
  • You should then see Form 8862 on your screen
  • Add any necessary information you need to in that form and click Continue

NOTE: If you are having trouble adding another child, go here for guidance Unable to add a second or third child to Form 8862 Part III 

And if you are using the app on a mobile device, go here How do I get to Form 8862 in the TurboTax Mobile App? for steps.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

You can use the steps below to help you get to where to fill out information for Form 8862 to add it to your tax return.

• Go to Search box in top right cover and click there to type in 8862 and hit enter
  • Then click on Jump to 8862 that appears in search results
  • This takes you to the screen Looks like the Earned Income Credit may put more money in your pocket
  • Click Continue and answer the next couple earned income (you have to answer through these) questions properly
  • On the Do any of these uncommon situations apply? screen, check the box next to I/we got a letter/notice from the IRS telling me/us to fill out an 8862 form to claim the Earned Income Credit.
  • Click Continue and then Done
  • Next screen is Since you got an IRS notice, we need to check on a few things 
  • Answer No, none of these apply and I need to fill out the 8862 form and Continue
  • You should then see Form 8862 on your screen
  • Add any necessary information you need to in that form and click Continue

NOTE: If you are having trouble adding another child, go here for guidance Unable to add a second or third child to Form 8862 Part III 

And if you are using the app on a mobile device, go here How do I get to Form 8862 in the TurboTax Mobile App? for steps.

I did this as well. I did this step by step and I'm still getting rejected. It still telling me I have to fill out form 8862 when I already did online. I'm confused. What may be the problem to this error?? I need help asap
Re73

Can u help me

VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

Form 8862 is available in Turbo Tax.  Make sure you perform these following steps so that the form generates in your return.

1. Open your return if you don't already have it open. (To do this, sign in to TurboTax and select Pick up where you left off button.)
  2. Go to federal>deductions and credits>all tax breaks>you and your family
  3. You'll come to the Earned Income Credit section. Select Continue.
  4. Answer the questions and eventually you'll be asked Do any of these uncommon situations apply? Check the box that says, I/we got a letter/notice from the IRS telling me/us to fill out an 8862 form to claim the Earned Income Credit.
  5. Select Continue and then Done.
  6. On the Since you got an IRS notice, we need to check on a few things screen, select the radio button next to No, none of these apply and I need to fill out the 8862 form.
  7. Select Continue.
  8. Answer the remaining questions.

If you did these steps, your 8862 form should be included in your tax return. If not, please revisit the steps to make sure each question is answered correctly. 

Add Form 8862

About Form 8862

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Deandra30

i need help speaking to someone about why my income  taxs keeps being rejected

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

What is the rejection code you are receiving?

If you'd like to speak to someone, please reach out to TurboTax Customer Support. 

What is the TurboTax phone number?

@Deandra30

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies