turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

booosh

Why is my Schedule A line 1 amount less than the sum of Form(s) 8889 line 15 (qualified medical expenses) and Form 1095A line 33 (annual insurance premium)?

1st 8889 line 15 amount ($546) + 2nd 8889 line 15 amount ($3266) + 1095A line 33 amount ($14,172) = $17,984.
Schedule A line 1 amount = $14,492.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

Why is my Schedule A line 1 amount less than the sum of Form(s) 8889 line 15 (qualified medical expenses) and Form 1095A line 33 (annual insurance premium)?

The medical expenses on the 8889 were paid for with tax-free dollars, you can not claim them a second time on your schedule A.

Additionally, the amount you quote from the 1095A may not include any adjustment for the advance premium tax credit.

The program with perform the calculations to put only non-reimbursed medical expenses on Schedule A line 1.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

You can't get a Schedule A benefit for expenses used with tax-free HSA. That would be double-dipping.
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

The medical expenses on the 8889 were paid for with tax-free dollars, you can not claim them a second time on your schedule A.

Additionally, the amount you quote from the 1095A may not include any adjustment for the advance premium tax credit.

The program with perform the calculations to put only non-reimbursed medical expenses on Schedule A line 1.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies