turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

You asked if I bought/traded/sold any virtual currency. I said Yes. But no other information was collected about it. That doesn’t seem right?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
SusanY1
Employee Tax Expert

You asked if I bought/traded/sold any virtual currency. I said Yes. But no other information was collected about it. That doesn’t seem right?

It's right.  Strange question, though, isn't it? 

This year, the IRS added a checkbox to the top of Schedule 1 that asks: "At any time during 2019, did you receive, sell, send, exchange, or otherwise acquire any financial interest in any virtual currency?"

All they want is a yes or no answer, for now.  

You can see that question if you'd like, here: IRS Schedule 1, 2019.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
RobertG
Expert Alumni

You need to report your cryptocurrency if you sold, exchanged, spent or converted it though.

1. Select Federal from the left menu, and Wages & Income from the menu near the top.
  2. Scroll down and select Show more next to Investment Income.
  3. Select Start or Revisit next to Cryptocurrency.
  4. Follow the instructions and we'll calculate the gain or loss from the sale.

For further information please see the TurboTax website: How do I report Bitcoin or other cryptocurrency as a capital gain?

Hi! I said yes to this because I just bought, but didn't sell. However, when I actually looked at the check box in the 1040, "did you receive, sell, send, exchange, or otherwise acquire any financial interest in any virtual currency" it implies that I just said yes to a taxable event, even I'm not. Will I get in trouble?

Thank you!

DaveF1006
Employee Tax Expert

No you shouldn't as long as you didn't report any sales transactions. The caption that you said yes to prompts Turbo Tax to list a section for you to report. If you left that section blank, no worries.

So it’s okay if I filed with “Yes” on the check box in1040 even I have no transactions to show? My case is I didnt report any sales, but I checked Yes when I filed. I thought just buying is considered a transaction so I said yes even I dont have any sales or interests.

AmyC
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, the question does include the words receive and acquire on the actual tax form. It is a checkbox on the tax form and the IRS receives crypto information so better safe than sorry. If you had a sale, you would have used more forms.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies