Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can i deduct a boat for fishing

My husband has a commercial fishing business, he bought a new boat this year.  Can this be added to a business expense and if yes where
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Tiki

Yes, under Section 179 you can claim the boat as a business expense (if used more than 50% for business). You must claim Section 179 deductions for equipment in the tax year that the equipment was "placed in service" - meaning when the boat is ready and available. 

Please be advised: If you chose not to take the full Section 179 deduction, you may be able to take a one-time special allowance depreciation. After entering the percentage of the 179 deductions, the system will move you to the special allowance depreciation option. Please note that not every state follows the federal rules for depreciation.

To enter the boat to receive the 179 deduction, please follow the steps below.

1. Select the Business tab
  2. Choose Explore on my own or I'll choose what to work on  (if it comes up)
  3. Next, select Business Income and Expenses - Click the Start or Update button
  4. If you've already entered the information for the business, click Edit next to the business name
  5. On the  business summary screen, select Business Asset.
  6. Walk through the interview questions and enter the information regarding the boat. 

For more information, please see the information below.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302228

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Tiki

Yes, under Section 179 you can claim the boat as a business expense (if used more than 50% for business). You must claim Section 179 deductions for equipment in the tax year that the equipment was "placed in service" - meaning when the boat is ready and available. 

Please be advised: If you chose not to take the full Section 179 deduction, you may be able to take a one-time special allowance depreciation. After entering the percentage of the 179 deductions, the system will move you to the special allowance depreciation option. Please note that not every state follows the federal rules for depreciation.

To enter the boat to receive the 179 deduction, please follow the steps below.

1. Select the Business tab
  2. Choose Explore on my own or I'll choose what to work on  (if it comes up)
  3. Next, select Business Income and Expenses - Click the Start or Update button
  4. If you've already entered the information for the business, click Edit next to the business name
  5. On the  business summary screen, select Business Asset.
  6. Walk through the interview questions and enter the information regarding the boat. 

For more information, please see the information below.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302228

Carl
Level 15

No, not directly. If the boat is used for fishing by the business to produce income, then it's a business asset. It's listed as such in the Business Assets section and it's cost gets depreciated over time.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies