turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

josh7

If I sell my house that I bouth in Auguat 2017 will I have to pay capital gains?

I closed on my current home on August 28th, 2017 for a price of $321,000. I am now thinking of selling that home and believe I can sell it for $365,000. Would I be responsible for paying capital gains on the net gain from the sale? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

If I sell my house that I bouth in Auguat 2017 will I have to pay capital gains?

Yes, the exclusion only applies if you live in the house 2 of the last 5 years. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

Yes, the exclusion only applies if you live in the house 2 of the last 5 years. 

josh7

Thank you. So If I wait until August 28th 2019 to sell my house I shouldn't have to pay on the net gain?
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

You shouldn't owe capital gains tax, but this is a tax law. Read Pub 523 for all the information. <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/publications/p523">https://www.irs.gov/publications/p523</a>
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies