Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

why does turbotax not have an option for vehicles before 2017 on the Energy-Efficient Vehicle tax credit?

when completing the turbotax prompts for the Energy-Efficient Vehicle tax credit, turbotax asks you to "Select the year of your plug-in electric drive motor vehicle" and presents options for 2024 - 2017.

Last year I bought a 2014 bmw i3, which based on my reading of the IRS website, should be eligible for the used EV tax credit (https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/[product key removed]le-credit)

since the drop down only goes back to 2017 I cannot select the correct option for my vehicle

is it possible to expand the menu to accommodate older vehicle model years on the online interface? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

why does turbotax not have an option for vehicles before 2017 on the Energy-Efficient Vehicle tax credit?

Click Review to see if you are missing some forms needed in order to e-file.

Many federal and state forms are not yet available.  Check here for form availability. The dates are subject to change.

Tax form availability tool,

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

The IRS Form 8936 Clean Vehicle Credit for tax year 2023 has not been finalized in TurboTax.

The form is scheduled to be available on 02/21/2024.

Go to this TurboTax website for forms availability - https://form-status.app.intuit.com/tax-forms-availability/formsavailability?albRedirect=true&product...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies