turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bob34

Where do I enter my meals and entertainment expenses in Turbotax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

Meals and Entertainment expenses are no longer deductible as an employee under the new tax laws.

If you are self-employed, you would need to upgrade to TurboTax Self-employed, then you will enter them under "Other Common Expenses" in the Self-Employed section. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

It's ridiculous that this guidance is here on the website but not in Turbo Tax.

@fixate

Can I deduct job-related expenses on my tax return?

Sorry---W-2 employees cannot deduct job-related expenses on a federal return.  Job-related expenses were eliminated as a federal deduction for W-2 employees by the tax laws that changed for 2018 and beyond.  Your state tax laws might be different in AL, AR, CA, HI, MN, NY or PA.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4482873-which-federal-tax-deductions-have-been-suspended-by-tax-re...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I'm not a w-2 employee.
I'm entering business related expenses for schedule C as a self employed LLC owner.
The guidance within TurboTax for things like business entertainment, recurring software or online service subscriptions is non-existent and too many unmentioned items get dumped into "Other Miscellaneous Expenses"

@fixate Those of us who are replying to you have no way to know that you are preparing a Schedule C.  You did not mention self-employment and your question was posted from online Premier which cannot be used to prepare a Schedule C.   Thus the confusion and perhaps less than helpful replies.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

The real issue isn't which forum the problem is posted to.

The issue is the inadequate, incomplete, and half hearted guidance provided within the TurboTax app.

It's perfectly clear where the expense for a computer or photocopier should be entered but many common types of business expenses are not addressed in the app.

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

IRS Instructions for Schedule C provides information about meals and entertainment expenses on pages C-9 and C-10 here.

@fixate

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies