Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bprasha

What is the mailing address to file form 8283 Noncash Charitable Contributions?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

19 Replies

Did you already file the return? Are you amending?  Form 8283 is usually not submitted on its own.
bprasha

Yes, the returns (including form 8283) have been filed electronically. Not sure if a paper copy has to  be mailed to the IRS additionally. Thanks.

Form 8283 is required to be mailed in IF you have donations over $5000 where a signature of an appraiser and/or a signature of an official of the charity is required.  In this case, Turbotax will also include a form 8453, which is a cover page for mailing documents that are required for certain e-filed returns.  This form and the address will be included if you download or print "all forms and worksheets."

If your donations are less than $5000 and no appraiser signature is needed, then Turbotax will include electronic copies of for 8283 with the e-filed return and no paper copy is required to be mailed.

bprasha

Thanks, this is very helpful  to know. My donations are below $5,000, and form 8283 has been included in the returns which has been filed electronically. I was not sure if a paper copy of form 8283, and form 1098C have to be mailed to IRS. Based on your response, it does not appear  there is a requirement to do that. Thanks.

form 8283 is used if your charitable donations are over $500 dollars (not $5000)

Do I need to send a form 8283 when my donations of clothing exceeded $500 ($562) and where do I submit

is this form automatically sent by Turbo tax with my electronic return?

JohnW222
Expert Alumni

Yes, Form 8283 is automatically transmitted with the rest of your e-filed return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Yes the electronic return has been accepted by Federal; I used "Its Deductible" for clothing donated to Good Will. Since the deduction was $562; do I need to mail the 8283 or did Turbo Tax note the deduction and submit the 8283 electronically with the return submittal.

Thanks so much.  I can stop being concerned abbout the form 8283

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

If your non-cash contributions are only $562 and are reported on Form 8283 and efiled, then you are done. You do not mail this form in.

Cdubb

What do I do if I don’t have an appraiser signature? I all ready got an email saying my efile was accepted. I’m don’t know what step to take next. I’m worried about penalties or fines. Thank you. 

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

It depends.

The requirement does not apply if you donated cash, qualified vehicles where you have a receipt from the charity, some inventory, publicly traded securities or certain intellectual property.

Donations over $5,000

If your donation is something other than the items above, you will need to get an appraisal to mail in. 

Otherwise, your deduction may be rejected.  If that happens, you could be subject to penalties.

Please see the attached publication from the IRS for more details on the appraisal needed and what needs to be included.

Publication 561

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Cdubb

I understand. I donated a large amount of furniture/clothing/household items on the same day. I do not have an appraiser and did not get it appraised therefore I can't mail in such form. What do I do now?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies