turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

crews76

What if I forgot to put down that I bought a new vehicle last year?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

You may amend your tax return and enter your deductions for your car purchase to see if they make a difference to your refund.  Often, they do not. The car fees/taxes are part of your itemized deductions.  If you are not itemizing your other deductions, such as mortgage interest, real estate taxes, charitable donations, claiming your car's property tax and fees will not make a difference on your tax return. And if they don't, you don't have to amend and send the amendment to the IRS. If the deductions do change your refund, you would print and mail amended return. 

If your return has been submitted- please wait - if it's rejected for some reason, you can add your car deductions and re-send the return.

If your return has been submitted and accepted- you will have to amend; the return is mailed; takes about 16 weeks to process. Here are amending instructions.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

You may amend your tax return and enter your deductions for your car purchase to see if they make a difference to your refund.  Often, they do not. The car fees/taxes are part of your itemized deductions.  If you are not itemizing your other deductions, such as mortgage interest, real estate taxes, charitable donations, claiming your car's property tax and fees will not make a difference on your tax return. And if they don't, you don't have to amend and send the amendment to the IRS. If the deductions do change your refund, you would print and mail amended return. 

If your return has been submitted- please wait - if it's rejected for some reason, you can add your car deductions and re-send the return.

If your return has been submitted and accepted- you will have to amend; the return is mailed; takes about 16 weeks to process. Here are amending instructions.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies