Is there a way for me to deduct my health insurance premiums paid through an s-corp without having a K-1? The premium amount is included on line 1 of my W-2.

So I've used TurboTax for 20+ years and the last several years I used over-ride of box 29, and I paper file. It worked!  This year (2018) I cannot figure out how to deduct my health insurance premiums as the son of a 5% owner.  Please help.  Is there some box that I can over-ride?  I really don't want to hire a CPA.

Has anyone figured out how to bypass this bug?  I cannot get the system to deduct my insurance premiums on line 29.  The system is throwing them into itemized deductions.  I believe this is because the K1 shows a loss for the year greater than the premiums.  However, I did get a W2 for the premiums paid. @TaxGuyBill @TurboTaxIrene

I actually did get this fixed this year. Paid the $80 for live support and I finally talked to someone who helped me figure it out. I was leaving the field in the K-1 blank that asked for I think line 3 from W-2 or something like that. If you enter the amount from your W-2 there instead of leaving that blank, it properly deducts premiums paid from line 29. If you leave it blank, it thinks that you made $0; thus, it doesn't allow you to use line 29 deduction. @lisa.mathews00 @ryantlynch1

Ha!  That worked!  Thank you so much!  Although, the reality of it is that box 5 for Medicare is $0 on my W-2 because insurance premiums are not Medicare taxable.  But, by adding income there is filled in the box properly!  Sweet!  Thanks again! @reisender1673

I don't mean to be rude, but did either of you read Irene's answer below?  That specifically tells you to do that.

@TaxGuyBill Right, I did see that.  But, there were NO Medicare taxable wages paid to me as insurance premiums are not Medicare taxable, so I had rightfully left that blank.  My wages show in box 1 and 14.  I didn't "get" that was were the "bug" was until I saw @reisender1673 's reply to me.  So, yes, I did read it.  Thank you and I do appreciate Irene's message.  It was just that it didn't spell out that you "had" to put something in "Medicare wages" regardless of whether or not your W-2 actually had an amount in that box. 🙂

@lisa.mathews00   No, you NEED to have Medicare wages in Box 5 of your W-2.  If you don't, you DON'T qualify for the Self Employed Health Insurance deduction.

This is one of the resources I read: <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="http://loopholelewy.com/loopholelewy/01-tax-basics-for-startups/s-corporations-08-deducting-health-i... do qualify because the premiums were included on my W2 from my S-corp.  It just so happens that the premiums are the only wages reported, and, as such box 5 was left empty because the premiums are not Medicare taxable.  Again, the wages were reported in box 1 and 14 (S/E Health).

You still need 'other' wages.  You DON'T qualify.

On that link, scroll down to the heading "Earned Income From Trade or Business Limitation", which says you must have earned income from that business (which means wages other than the health insurance reimbursement).

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/individuals/earned-income-tax-credit/earned-income">https://w... can agree to disagree.  I do appreciate your input.  My wages are taxable and I did earn them and they are reported on my W2. 🙂

If Box 5 is blank, you didn't receive wages, you received health insurance.  There isn't anything to disagree about if you did not receive wages.

Here is another way to enter your Self Employed Health Insurance paid through your Partnership, LLC or S-Corporation: 
  1. Click the Federal> Wages & Income.
  2. Scroll down to Business Items
  3. Click the blue Show More button in this section  [if necessary].
  4. Click Start (or Revisit) next to Schedules K-1, Q
  5. On the Tell Us About Your Schedules K-1 screen, click Start/Update next to S corporations (Form 1120S).
  6. Click through the slides until you come to the Other Situations screen. You won't have to make entries except for the information about the S-Corporation (name, address, etc.).
  7. Check the box next to I personally paid health insurance....."
  8. The next screen will ask for the amount of premiums paid as well as the amount of Medicare wages paid to you.