Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

The "Your HSA Summary" page - Deduction

The "Your HSA Summary" page - Deduction on TT Premier a value of $1810 is shown for "Deduction" in my column  I have no idea where this value is originating from. I expected to see 6900 (actually $7900 since I am over 55) for the family plan deduction here instead. Several threads state to go to the "Let's enter your HSA contributions" which does not exist in my version of TT. Another thread which explains deduction does not cite where the value originated.

On my summary

Deductions: 1810 ( from ?????)

Total Distributions: 4878 (from 1099SA)

Taxable Distributions: 0

taxable Earning on excess contribs: 0 

Tax Free Employer contibs: 6090 (from W2 line 12 Code W)

Excess Employer contribs; 0 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Deductions - The amount of "personal" contributions you made - these are contributions made OUTSIDE your employer - not through payroll deduction. This amount appears on line 25 of Schedule 1 (Form 1040) and on line 2 on form 8889. Exception: If you carried over excess contributions from the previous year and this excess was successfully charged off against the current year contribution limit, then the amount of the carryover is added to line 25; however, because it is a carryover and not a current year contribution, it does not appear on line 2 of form 8889.

You do not see the code W amount in box 12 of your W-2 as a deduction because it was removed from Wages in boxes 1, 3, and 5 on your W-2 before your W-2 was printed. It's not a deduction because it was never in your income in the first place. No, this is not obvious (but you can confirm it with your employer).

Only the direct contributions will appear as a deduction (line 25 on Schedule 1, and on the HSA Summary under "Deductions").

All my contributions were either direct payroll deductions or via direct employer contributions. However the Deduction value appears to be the difference between the family limit (7900) and the sum of all W2 Line 12c Code W amounts.  This difference in my opinion is the residual or unused portion of the allowable HSA contribution limit.

All my contributions were either direct payroll deductions or via direct employer contributions. However the Deduction value appears to be the difference between the family limit (7900) and the sum of all W2 Line 12c Code W amounts.  This difference in my opinion is the residual or unused portion of the allowable HSA contribution limit.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies