Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

The Child Tax Credit value is incorrect because it isn't including all of my children. How do I manually claim the correct amount?

The IRS only sent advance payment for 2 out of my 3 children. It seems Turbo Tax is repeating the clerical error.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

The Child Tax Credit value is incorrect because it isn't including all of my children. How do I manually claim the correct amount?

Make sure you have entered your child as a dependent in My Info, and that you have entered the child's Social Security number. If your child was born in 2021make sure you said he lived with you the whole year.  There is an oddly worded question that asks if the child paid over half their own support.  Say NO to that question.

Federal>Deductions and Credits>You and Your Family>Child Tax Credit

The IRS is sending out letter 6419 to you.  It will show the amount of advance child tax credit that you received during 2021.  Enter the information from that letter carefully.   The remaining amount of CTC that you can receive will show up on line 28 of your 2021 Form 1040.

PREVIEW 1040

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901539-how-do-i-preview-my-turbotax-online-return-before-filing

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the screen. Click on Tools. Click on View Tax Summary. Click on Preview my 1040 on the left side of the screen.

NOTE:   The CTC is indeed a “credit” that can be applied toward any tax liability that you would otherwise have to pay as “tax due”  to the IRS.

And…..Ignore that “refund monitor.”  The software STARTS OFF by giving you the full amount of CTC.   When you enter the amounts from your letter, the software reconciles the amount you received with the amount you can still get IF you are eligible to get the other half.     You are NOT losing any of the credit; you are not being taxed on the credit.  Don’t get confused by the reconciled amount.   You got some of it already—-now you get the rest.

If you received the advance payment and are NOT eligible to get the other half, then it will not show up on line 28.  (Such as in some cases where the wrong parent got the advance payments, etc.)

That “refund monitor” should not be taken seriously until every last morsel of your data has been entered.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

8 Replies
DanaB27
Expert Alumni

Please verify that all children have been entered as dependents. If you have a child born in 2021 then please make sure you selected that he/she lived with you the whole year. A child born during the year is deemed to have lived with you all year.

You review Form 1040 to see if all children qualify for the Child Tax Credit. If not all children have a check-mark for the Child Tax Credit then please review What is the Child Tax Credit? and review your dependent entries:

1. Login to your TurboTax Account 
  2. Click "My Info" from the left side of your screen
  3. Edit dependents if necessary.

You can see your remaining Child Tax Care Credit amount on line 28 of Form 1040. 

To preview Form 1040:

1. Click on "Tax Tools" in the left menu
  2. Click "Tools"
  3. Click "View Tax Summary" in the Tool Center window
  4. Click on "Preview my 1040" on the left

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Make sure you have entered your child as a dependent in My Info, and that you have entered the child's Social Security number. If your child was born in 2021make sure you said he lived with you the whole year.  There is an oddly worded question that asks if the child paid over half their own support.  Say NO to that question.

Federal>Deductions and Credits>You and Your Family>Child Tax Credit

The IRS is sending out letter 6419 to you.  It will show the amount of advance child tax credit that you received during 2021.  Enter the information from that letter carefully.   The remaining amount of CTC that you can receive will show up on line 28 of your 2021 Form 1040.

PREVIEW 1040

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901539-how-do-i-preview-my-turbotax-online-return-before-filing

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the screen. Click on Tools. Click on View Tax Summary. Click on Preview my 1040 on the left side of the screen.

NOTE:   The CTC is indeed a “credit” that can be applied toward any tax liability that you would otherwise have to pay as “tax due”  to the IRS.

And…..Ignore that “refund monitor.”  The software STARTS OFF by giving you the full amount of CTC.   When you enter the amounts from your letter, the software reconciles the amount you received with the amount you can still get IF you are eligible to get the other half.     You are NOT losing any of the credit; you are not being taxed on the credit.  Don’t get confused by the reconciled amount.   You got some of it already—-now you get the rest.

If you received the advance payment and are NOT eligible to get the other half, then it will not show up on line 28.  (Such as in some cases where the wrong parent got the advance payments, etc.)

That “refund monitor” should not be taken seriously until every last morsel of your data has been entered.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

What cleared this up for me was: 

The remaining amount of CTC  (emphasis added) that you can receive will show up on line 28 of your 2021 Form 1040.

I had originally thought that the value on the line was the total eligible amount including the funds already received.

2 kids @ $3,600

=====================

$7,200 (what I saw on line 28)

You answer cleared up that the math was actually:

2 kids @ $1,800 (remaining credit)

+ 1 kid @ $3,600 (full credit)

=====================

$7,200 (what I saw on line 28)

Thank you!

The system is computing  child tax credit (CTC) @ $2000 per child... it should be $3000 per child per age above 6

Please confirm why system is computing based on old data

@cavineet wrote:

The system is computing  child tax credit (CTC) @ $2000 per child... it should be $3000 per child per age above 6

Please confirm why system is computing based on old data

The Child Tax Credit is reduced to $2,000 if modified AGI in 2021 exceeds:

• $169,000 if you are married and filing a joint return, or if you are filing as a qualifying widow or widower;
  • $131,500 if you are filing as head of household; or
  • $94,000 if you are a single filer or are married and filing a separate return.

Thank you

Saigon-Services
Returning Member

I have 17 years old child and she has a 1099-NEC for $6,600 and I supported all of his living expenses.  Does he need to file his 2021 tax returns if I claim him to my 2021 tax returns?  Or If I need to add his income to my tax returns, how can I add my 1099-NEC self-employed income to my (the parent's) tax returns?  Your advice is greatly appreciated.

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

If he has a 1099-NEC for $6600 he needs to file his own tax return.  And he's going to owe some money.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies