Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

W-2 Employee. Receive $600/mo car allowance. Also company gas card. Car allowance is taxed, card isn't. Is there any additional deduction I can take for mileage?

I don't get taxed on the amount of gas I spend for my vehicle.  It is reported on my pay stub but later deducted and not taxed.  Also I purchased a truck specifically for work because it was suggest this would be the best vehicle to use.  Can I take any deductions on it?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

W-2 Employee. Receive $600/mo car allowance. Also company gas card. Car allowance is taxed, card isn't. Is there any additional deduction I can take for mileage?

You are allowed to deduct your mileage (53.5 cents for 2017) and other job expenses, subtracting what you were reimbursed. Do not subtract your reimbursement if it was included on your W-2 as taxable income. You would treat the gas receipts as reimbursement, but not the $600/Mo. TurboTax completes form  2106, which  then carries to Misc itemized deductions on Schedule A. The problem with this is that you only get to deduct that portion of  your misc deductions that exceed 2% of your AGI. and then only if your total  itemized deductions exceed the standard deduction.  (2% rule explained: https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2902781-what-is-the-2-rule)

In TurboTax, enter at:

Federal Taxes Tab

Deductions & Credits

-Scroll down to:

-Employment Expenses
-- Job related expenses

This deduction goes away in 2018, under the new tax law.

Thank you...that closely helps.  I don't keep gas records, I have a company provided card that I just pay for gas with.  The only way it's tracked is they keep records of it and it shows on my W-2 as non taxable. Does that change the situation at all?
Hal_Al
Level 15

The answer doesn't change. It sounds like you just get the gas amount off your W-2. So your bookkeeping is easy.
Rontom

Is this correct?

Example:

My Car Allowance is Taxable

Gas Reimbursement via company gas credit card.

I drive 40,000 miles per year and 30,000 miles is strictly business related.

At $0.58 per mile this equals $17,400.00.

Company paid $3,300 for gas. I deduct that from the $17,400.00 and it equals $14,100.00.

If I make $55,000.00 per year on my W2, then I take 2% ($1,100.00) off of the $14,100.00 which leaves me with a $13,000.00 deduction.

@Rontom 

You posted your question to an old thread from prior to 2018.  Unfortunately, when TurboTax migrated data from the old user forum Answer Xchange to the new user forum Real Money Talk, old posts got 2019 dates.  Confusing, we know.

But if you are a W-2 employee, your job-related expenses are NOT deductible on your 2018 federal tax return under the new tax laws.  So you can no longer use mileage or vehicle expenses, home office, etc. on your federal return.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4482873-which-federal-tax-deductions-have-been-suspended-by-tax-re...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies