turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I live in Louisiana. Trying to see what information to put for my vehicle tax credit. Is it the value of the car or the registration fees. It was bought this tax year.

If the car was bought in 2016 will it be a deduction itself or just the registration fees?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I live in Louisiana. Trying to see what information to put for my vehicle tax credit. Is it the value of the car or the registration fees. It was bought this tax year.

"It was bought this tax year."
"If the car was bought in 2016"
So when exactly was it purchased?

That was supposed to say 2017. Working nights and just getting off. Brain isn't working. Haha

On a federal tax return there is not a tax credit for a vehicle purchased for personal use unless it is an electric or a plug-in hybrid electric vehicle.  See this website for eligible vehicles purchased in 2017 - https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/taxevb.shtml

Certain vehicle registration fees are deductible as an itemized deduction on Form 1040 Schedule A.  Louisiana is one of the states where the registration fee that is based on the value of the vehicle is deductible.

To enter, edit or delete Car Registration Fees -

• Click on Federal Taxes
  • Click on Deductions and Credits
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Under Cars and Other Things You Own
  • On Car Registration Fees, click the start or update button

Or enter car tags in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen.  Click on Jump to car tags

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies