turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I complete a K1 if self-employed bona fide resident of Australia with all foreign earned income through my self employment?

From what I understand, Australia and USA have totalization agreement and thus because I pay tax in Australia and pay into the social taxes here, should be exempt. However, Turbo Tax is requiring that I do not enter my self employment income other than profits earned under the Foreign Earned Income Exemption section, but also stating I need to enter it as a K1?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

Do I complete a K1 if self-employed bona fide resident of Australia with all foreign earned income through my self employment?

Is your business incorporated ?  Does it file an 1120S and issue you a K-1?

Hi, no i don't believe so, I work as a private practice therapist and also earn commission as an independent distributor for an MLM company... both are under one Australian Business Number for tax purposes and I pay tax as applicable in Australia. Thank you for your help

If this is YOUR business  then you will report this as foreign earned income and either take the exclusion or the tax credit on the income you pay australian taxes on ...

To enter Foreign Earned Income -
• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
• Click on Wages and Income (Personal Income using Home and Business)
• Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
• Scroll down to Less Common Income
• On Foreign Earned Income and Exclusion, click on the start or update button
Or enter foreign income in the Search/Find box located in the upper right of the program screen.  Click on Jump to foreign income

Thanks so much, very helpful

I have attempted to request the Live help person return contact to me twice, but they are not calling. I am based in Australia and believe that this might be the issue.
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies