turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Home office expenses: how do show 2 offices used at different times of the year, NOT simultaneously?

Home business: I used home office #1 for 9 months, moved to a new home, then used home office #2 for the remaining 3 months out of the year (90% each), however TurboTax won't let me enter both offices not to exceed a total of 100%.  I'm stuck. How do I advance in the program?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Home office expenses: how do show 2 offices used at different times of the year, NOT simultaneously?

% used for business cannot be more than 100% ... so if you used both 90% x 2 = 180% ... do you see the problem ?  

so enter 75% on the first & 25% on the second = 100%

Thank you, but technically that answer is not correct -- it's asking for the % of time I spend conducting business in the home offices and I spend 90% of my time in the office, 10% outside of the office. I spent 90% of my time in each office at each location. I did not use the 2 offices simultaneously, therefore I cannot split the percentages to equal 100%.

Ok... let me give you a hint ... that % info doesn't get entered anywhere on the form 8829 that the IRS gets so use the numbers I gave you and keep going. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies