Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: How can I pay 1040NR tax on online?

I have due to pay 2019 income tax.

I tried to pay in IRS site, but I only can find direct pay for 1040 filer.

Could I pay on online?

If yes, could you link the address please?

If no, how can I pay it? only mailing check? Can I pay it on EFTPS?

Appreciate your helps

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

31 Replies
LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

There are many options for you to pay your tax due.  Click here:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040nr.pdf, see page 45 under Pay Online

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for answer my question.

I already tried to pay in on online as stated in 1040NR instruction, but I found it only apply to a person who file form 1040.

VictorW9
Expert Alumni

Try this IRS information site about paying your 1040NR tax due Instructions for Form 1040-NR

Anonymous
Not applicable

Running through the same exact problem when trying to pay by "Direct Pay"

and surprised how difficult is to get a plausible answer from the "experts". I am an expert myself because, like CHOIK, I read the instructions and they are misleading. There is no quick answer to this.

CHOIK, per my review, seems like we need to pay through one of the paid services using a debit or credit card.

DawnC
Expert Alumni

Here are the instructions for filing and paying tax for a Form 1040NR.    See page 45.    @Anonymous

—Amount You Owe The IRS offers several payment options. You can pay online, by CAUTION ! CAUTION ! TIP phone, mobile device, cash (maximum $1,000 per day and per transaction), check, or money order. Go to www,IRS.gov/Payments for payment options. Pay Online The IRS offers an electronic payment option that is right for you. Paying online is convenient and secure and helps make sure we get your payments on time.

Direct debit from your bank account or use a debit card  use the following link ... choose 1040 when asked ...

https://www.irs.gov/payments/direct-pay

1....jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all, sorry for my frustration earlier on, but the point I was trying to make is most people answer these questions as if consulting the IRS website. If I ask a question, I do a research first, so easy answers do not do.

CHOIK question can be simply answered by providing him the IRS link to the payment methods, but that is not all. If you ever went through the process you would know "Direct Payment" does not work for 1040NR - IRS website leads you to believe so, but when you go through the process the options are not there - simple. So, how can you pay owed taxes from a 1040NR tax return? Possible correct answers are: debit card, credit card and not anything else. C'mon, I am not a tax expert and know it. How? Reading and doing it.

Btw, 1040 alone is not the same as 1040NR.

Hope this helps.

The 1040NR instructions bring you to the same payment screen as I showed you ... just choose the 1040 option  OR  give up and mail in a payment.   Or wait forever to ask the feds 1-800-829-1040. 

Rage
Level 2

I am going through the exact same situation. No option to select 1040-NR. How did you make your payment? IRS site doesn't show any owed amount even though I've already submitted my tax returns online. The only option I see is to make money order payable to IRS or wait until the amount gets loaded in the account. By that time, we will have missed the deadline and would have to pay some fine. This is ridiculous.

BillM223
Expert Alumni

TurboTax does not support the 1040-NR.

Please go to Sprintax to do your 1040-NR return (they are a partner of TurboTax).

If you have done that and are asking only how to pay the 1040-NR, when you go to the Payments page at the IRS website, and choose the 1040 option. Your account is saved by your name and ITIN in any case, so the payment should end up in the right place.

If this is worrisome, then use the 1040-V that should have printed with your return, write a check, and mail it in.

Rage
Level 2

I tried that as well but it fails to find my record after giving all my info. I am pretty sure this is not right. The only way is to pay by mail.

BillM223
Expert Alumni

The 1040NR Instructions say

"

Pay Online

The IRS offers an electronic payment option that is right for you. Paying online is convenient and secure and helps make sure we get your payments on time. To pay your taxes online or for more information, go to irs.gov/payments. You can pay using any of the following methods.

• IRS Direct Pay. For online transfers directly from your checking or savings account at a U.S. bank or other financial institution in the United States at no cost to you, go to irs.gov/payments.

• Pay by Card. To pay by debit or credit card, go to irs.gov/payments. A convenience fee is charged by these service providers.

• Electronic Funds Withdrawal (EFW) is an integrated e-file/e-pay option offered when filing your federal taxes electronically using tax preparation software, through a tax professional, or the IRS at irs.gov/EFW.

• Online Payment Agreement. If you cannot pay in full by the due date of your tax return, you can apply for an online monthly installment agreement at irs.gov/OPA. Once you complete the online process, you will receive immediate notification of whether your agreement has been approved. A user fee is charged unless you are a low-income taxpayer meeting certain criteria.

• IRS2Go is the mobile application of the IRS; you can access Direct Pay or Pay by Card by downloading the application.

" All I can say is that it should work, according to the IRS' own instructions.

After the text above at the link, there are some additional paragraphs of explanation - you might try reading them as well to see if something pops.

Rage
Level 2

Thanks for your response. But, I wouldn't have wasted my time asking questions here if that worked. Please do not point me to the IRS website as I am saying what IRS says doesn't work.

Ok ... you will pay online using the 1040 option ... the payment is attached to your SS# or ITIN  not to the form you choose ... so if you want to pay online just choose the 1040 option as that is where the 1040-NR instructions brings you to ... the IRS will have no problem matching your payment with the filed return. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies