Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Summer internship required relocation to another state for 2.5 months. I had to pay rent on two housing locations and collected a paycheck from another state. Can I write off one of the rents (I know I can write off moving expenses)? Which state/how do I

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DDollar
Expert Alumni

Summer internship required relocation to another state for 2.5 months. I had to pay rent on two housing locations and collected a paycheck from another state. Can I write off one of the rents (I know I can write off moving expenses)? Which state/how do I

Since you internship was a temporary assignment you can deduct your travel expenses if they otherwise qualify for deduction. You can deduct ordinary and necessary expenses you have when you travel away from home on business. The type of expense you can deduct depends on the facts and your circumstances.  To determine what you can deduct see IRS PUB 463 Travel, Entertainment, Gift and Car Expenses

Once you have determined what you can deduct you will deduct them as un-reimubursed business expenses.  In order to take the deduction you will need to itemize your deductions.  

As for the two states, you will need to file a non-resident return for the state where your internship was located.  Your  resident state will give you a credit for any tax you pay to your non resident state, so you won't be double taxed on that income.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DDollar
Expert Alumni

Since you internship was a temporary assignment you can deduct your travel expenses if they otherwise qualify for deduction. You can deduct ordinary and necessary expenses you have when you travel away from home on business. The type of expense you can deduct depends on the facts and your circumstances.  To determine what you can deduct see IRS PUB 463 Travel, Entertainment, Gift and Car Expenses

Once you have determined what you can deduct you will deduct them as un-reimubursed business expenses.  In order to take the deduction you will need to itemize your deductions.  

As for the two states, you will need to file a non-resident return for the state where your internship was located.  Your  resident state will give you a credit for any tax you pay to your non resident state, so you won't be double taxed on that income.

katie_96

Hello! I had the same question, but when I was reading the form you linked, I noticed: "For tax years beginning after December 2017 and before January 2026, the deduction of certain moving expenses is suspended for nonmilitary taxpayers. In order to deduct certain moving expenses, you must be an active member of the military and moving due to a permanent change of duty station." Does this mean moving expenses can no longer be deducted for non-military internships? Thanks!

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

Yes.  Moving Expense deduction is no longer available unless it is Active Duty Military related.  Click HERE for more information.

The 2017 Tax Cuts and Jobs Act changed the rules for claiming the moving expense tax deduction. For most taxpayers, moving expenses are no longer deductible, meaning you can no longer claim this deduction on your federal return. This change is set to stay in place for tax years 2018-2025.

@katie_96

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies