Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sartaj10

Initially hired to intern in the US and got paid relocation money for that, however ended up interning for that company in another country. Do I need to file taxes?

So, I was initially hired to intern at a company in the US and they paid relocation money for that

However, circumstances changed and I ended up interning for that same company in another country and got paid in that country's currency.

Now my question is, I didn't earn anything else in US dollars apart from the relocation money which they haven't asked to return. And upon asking them for a W-2, they said that since the internship was conducted in a different country, I would not be receiving any US tax forms. So, do I need to file taxes in this scenario? The relocation money is less than the minimum filing amount of $12,500 and will be filing as a single, under age of 65 and I'm currently in the US on a student visa

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Initially hired to intern in the US and got paid relocation money for that, however ended up interning for that company in another country. Do I need to file taxes?

Yes, if you are a US Citizen, the money you earned worldwide is taxable in addition to your unused relocation payment. You can use a currency converter to determine how much you made in US dollars to report on your return. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
sartaj10

@Vanessa A Sorry, i forgot to mention. I'm not a US Citizen. I'm studying in the US on a F-1 visa

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Ok, if you are here on a F-1 visa, you would need to contact Sprintax.com to get answers to your questions as you would need to file a 1040NR which TurboTax does not support. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies