Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

theskyisthelimit99
Returning Member

Stimulus payment in 2021 for 2020 taxes

A little confusion on this one but I received the 2nd stimulus check on 1/4/21, does that go into turbotax for the 2020 tax year under the federal review as the 2nd stimulus amount?  Initially i had it at zero and it resulted in a credit, but i dont think thats right, assuming the 2021 value goes in 2020 tax year?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Congress passed the 2nd stimulus bill at the end of 2020.   The 2nd stimulus checks started going out at the very end of December 2020 and continued into early January 2021.  When you fill out the recovery rebate credit it is important for you to enter the entire total of the amount you have received for yourself, your spouse, and your dependent children so far.   Entering the wrong amount might delay your 2020 refund.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Yes there’s a form where it asks you to enter amounts for the 2020 check and the 2021 January check since it was authorized in 2020. If you received it you put in the amount you received. If it ends up being a credit, they might not have given you all the money you are eligible for at first, like for dependents. 
I had a daughter in 2020 and so understandably she wasn’t on my 2019 taxes so I’m having to claim the other part of the money owed based on that. 

theskyisthelimit99
Returning Member

thanks for the comments..

So based on this here, seems if you received it on 2021, you put it as the #2 round stimulus entry in the review section right (not a zero)?

Seems a local tax person was suggesting it doesnt go in the 2020 taxes though which through me for a loop.

As with this method, and a zero for #2, that throws my return off, i go from owing to getting a credit and the software seems to still show tax payments in the raw form area which i dont quite get (so its like i still owed what i owed but i also show a refund by putting zero).

Yes enter the second Stimulus payment on your 2020 return now.  The year you got it doesn't matter.  If you don't report it Turbo Tax will give it to you again, which would be wrong and double.  The Stimulus entry screen says the second one is between Dec 2020 and Jan 2021 so you should include January.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies