Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

stimulus check question

My family in 2021(me, wife and our kid) got stimulus check of 4200$ bank deposit. I believe its (1400 + 1400 + 1400, since we are three) . When i am filing tax returns on turbo tax, i got a question to confirm the amount received by me and my wife  via stimulus, should i put 4200$ (that include kid) or 2800 (just for me and my wife)? we don't have 6457, lost it somewhere, but i did login into IRS account and saw my profile and it is showing 2100,$ i am assuming my wife IRS account also shows 2100$, does it mean they split my kid 1400 $into  (700 + 700) and showing in our 6457(or in  irs account) ? 
please let me know should we enter 4200$ or 2800$?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

stimulus check question

Yes you need to enter that you received 3 x $1400.    If you enter the wrong amount you will end up putting the stimulus for one of you on line 30 again.   That will cause the IRS to review your return and reduce your refund, and take lots of extra time.   Yes---they split the $1400 for your child and assigned $2100 to each parent.  So you have to enter that you received a total of $4200.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

stimulus check question

No.   If you received the stimulus already based on 2020 you do not have to pay any of it back even if your 2021 income is higher.     You will simply have to enter the amount you already received.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

4 Replies

stimulus check question

Yes you need to enter that you received 3 x $1400.    If you enter the wrong amount you will end up putting the stimulus for one of you on line 30 again.   That will cause the IRS to review your return and reduce your refund, and take lots of extra time.   Yes---they split the $1400 for your child and assigned $2100 to each parent.  So you have to enter that you received a total of $4200.

DanaB27
Expert Alumni

stimulus check question

You confirm in TurboTax that you received the total of $ 4,200:

1. After entering all your information click "Search" at the top right and type "Stimulus".
  2.  Follow the jump to link (if you do not qualify for the Recovery Rebate Credit the stimulus questions will not come up). 
  3. On the screen "Let's double-check the amount you received" you will be asked about the amount of third stimulus payment you received. TurboTax will then calculate the amount of stimulus payment remaining that you are still entitled to get. 
  4. Any stimulus amount remaining due to you will show as The Recovery Rebate Credit on line 30 of Form 1040.

Please see What are the eligibility rules for the Recovery Rebate Credit? for additional information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

stimulus check question

third Stimulus check  in march 2021 is based on 2020 tax filiings and income is under 150K , we received 1400$+1400$+1400$ for 3 of us. Now in 2021 W2   income is around 155K, will IRS be holding some amount from that 4200$ while doing  tax return 2021 filing in 2022  ?

as per https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/dependents/help/what-are-the-eligibility-rules-for-the-recovery-re...

stimulus check question

No.   If you received the stimulus already based on 2020 you do not have to pay any of it back even if your 2021 income is higher.     You will simply have to enter the amount you already received.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies