Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Reporting earnings on 1099-Q for dependent children

Hello - earlier I had a question about reporting earnings (box 2) in 1099-Q for my "non-dependent" child (I'm the recipient) and am very thankful to @AmyC of TT for her insightful advice.

Now I have a question re reporting earning (Box 2) in 1099-Q for my "dependent" child (say, Joe). I'm the recipient but the money withdrawn was used for my dependent child's (Joe's) college education. Because I'm claiming this child (Joe) as a dependent, I'm reporting Box 1, Box 2, and Box 3 info from this particular 1099-Q in my tax filing under "Wages & Income." As you can guess, this results in raising my taxable income (and reduces refunds). Here's my question - am I doing my tax filing in TT correctly by reporting this 1099-Q earnings (Box 2) as a part of my gross income? Please note that all funds withdrawn are qualified expenses for this dependent child (Joe). 

Any help and advice is very much appreciated (particularly given the tax deadline is very close!) - thank you! Please let me know if any additional info or clarification needed. 

Best wishes,

-Sb

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

Same answer! The Q should not be entered since it all went to education expenses. It could be allocated to room and board, or other expenses, if need be.

The 1098-T is only entered on the student return if income must be claimed from the scholarships. Otherwise, the T can go on the parent return and be allocated as needed for college education credit. The IRS has a great brochure that explains how scholarships and tax credits interact. Just be careful not to double dip. You can't claim 529 money for education credits- which is why we move what we can to room and board.

IRS Publication 970, Tax Benefits for Education states on page 45:  Don't report tax-free distributions (including qualifying rollovers) on your tax return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Dear Ms. Amy,

Thank you very much again for taking the time off from your work in this probably the busiest time of the year. 

I hope you'd not mind clarifying a follow-up question I have: TT asked me if I received a 1099-Q, which I did and selected "yes" for my dependent kid,  then followed the instructions in TT and reported those dollar figures in Boxes 1, 2, and 3 (as I mentioned earlier, that reporting increased my gross income and reduced refund). So, here's my follow up question - if I'm understanding your response correctly, I'll have to say "no" to the TT question on whether I received a 1099-Q form to avoid filling out those boxes as I don't see how do I avoid filling out those boxes when I say "yes" to that question! So, am I understanding your response correctly? If not, could you please elaborate a bit on what should I do re this particular 1099-Q (for the dependent child)? (Your advice on the "independent" child was great - thanks again!)

I just wanted to share the following because you mentioned 1098-T in your response: both kids got scholarship which covered their respective tuitions and their scholarships were reported in their respective tax filings (that didn't have any impact on their taxes or refunds except that TT said they were not qualified for those educational credits mentioned in TT and IRS lit you shared).

Thank you very much again for taking the time off from your very busy schedule to respond questions from "civilians" like me - really appreciated! 

Best wishes,

-Sanjib

AmyC
Expert Alumni

You are not required to report the Q when it is all used and you are telling the program which worksheets to use, not the IRS that you didn't get a form. So tell the computer no. The IRS already knows you got it because they did too. It is just the program that doesn't know.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Dear Ms. Amy,

Thank you so much again! Will do and yes, all the 1099-Q withdrawals were spent on room and board, books, etc. (all qualified expenses). 

It may sound silly to you and many others but when I use TT (have been using it for many years), I always assume that I'm answering to the IRS, so I'm kind of afraid of making mistakes and just blindly follow whatever TT is saying/asking! Who wants to get a letter from the IRS, right? You may recall that I reported the 1099-Q Boxes 1, 2, and 3 for both kids in my 2021 and 2022 tax filing! (I'll follow your advice on the 2022 filing after I'm done with the 2023 - thank you again). 

Thank you very much again! Very much appreciate your advice. 

Best wishes,

-Sanjib

An update for @AmyC 

Hi - I reinstalled TT2022 and redid the 1099-Q part only (just deleted what I reported from Box 1 and Box2) and the outcome was as expected, i.e., my refund for the 2022 tax year went up but by only $100 (hundred dollars) and some change so I decided not to file an amended 2022 return - not worth the pain.

As I may have mentioned somewhere during this conversation, I did the same mistake for the 2021 tax year. Oh, well...  but I didn't include the 1099-Q information in my 2023 tax filing as advised because the "Gross distribution" (box 1) and related "Earnings" (in box 2) were used for qualified expenses for my kids' college education. The 529 money was not enough but did definitely helped. 

Thank you again!

Have a great summer!

-Sanjib

Hal_Al
Level 15

Qualified Tuition Plans  (QTP 529 Plans) Distributions

General Discussion

It’s complicated.

For 529 plans, there is an “owner” (usually the parent), and a “beneficiary” (usually the student dependent). The "recipient" of the distribution can be either the owner or the beneficiary depending on who the money was sent to. When the money goes directly from the Qualified Tuition Plan (QTP) to the school, the student is the "recipient". The distribution will be reported on IRS form 1099-Q. 
The 1099-Q gets reported on the recipient's return.** The recipient's name & SS# will be on the 1099-Q.
Even though the 1099-Q is going on the student's return, the 1098-T should go on the parent's return, so you can claim the education credit. You can do this because he is your dependent.

You  should claim the tuition credit before claiming the 529 plan earnings exclusion, if you are eligible.  The American Opportunity Credit (AOC or AOTC) is 100% of the first $2000 of tuition and 25% of the next $2000 ($2500 maximum credit). The educational expenses he claims for the 1099-Q should be reduced by the amount of educational expenses you claim for the credit.
But be aware, you can not double dip. You cannot count the same tuition money, for the tuition credit,  that gets him an exclusion from the taxability of the earnings (interest) on the 529 plan. Since the credit is more generous; use as much of the tuition as is needed for the credit and the rest for the interest exclusion. Another special rule allows you to claim the tuition credit regardless of whose money was used to pay the tuition.
In addition, there is another rule that says the 10% penalty is waived if he was unable to cover the 529 plan withdrawal with educational expenses either because he got scholarships or the expenses were used (by him or the parents) to claim the credits. He'll have to pay tax on the earnings, at his lower tax rate (subject to the “kiddie tax”), but not the penalty.

Total qualified expenses (including room & board) less amounts paid by scholarship less amounts used to claim the Tuition credit equals the amount you can use to claim the earnings exclusion on the 1099-Q. 
Example:
  $10,000 in educational expenses(including room & board which is only qualified for the 1099-Q)

-$3000 paid by tax free scholarship***

-$4000 used to claim the American Opportunity credit

=$3000 Can be used against the 1099-Q (on the recipient’s return)

Box 1 of the 1099-Q is $5000

Box 2 is $2800

3000/5000=60% of the earnings are tax free; 40% are taxable

40% x 2800= $1120

There is  $1120 of taxable income (on the recipient’s return)

**Alternatively; you can just not report the 1099-Q, at all, if your student-beneficiary has sufficient educational expenses, including room & board (even if he lives at home) to cover the distribution. You would still have to do the math to see if there were enough expenses left over for you to claim the tuition credit. Again, you cannot double dip!  When the box 1 amount on form 1099-Q is fully covered by expenses, TurboTax will enter nothing about the 1099-Q on the actual tax forms. But, it will prepare a 1099-Q worksheet for your records, in case of an IRS inquiry.

On form 1099-Q, instructions to the recipient reads: "Nontaxable distributions from CESAs and QTPs are not required to be reported on your income tax return. You must determine the taxability of any distribution." 

***Another alternative is have the student report some of his scholarship as taxable income, to free up some expenses for the 1099-Q and/or tuition credit. Most people come out better having the scholarship taxable before the 529 earnings. A student, with no other income, can have up to $13,850 of taxable scholarship (in 2023) and still pay no income tax. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies