Deductions & credits

Dear Ms. Amy,

Thank you very much again for taking the time off from your work in this probably the busiest time of the year. 

I hope you'd not mind clarifying a follow-up question I have: TT asked me if I received a 1099-Q, which I did and selected "yes" for my dependent kid,  then followed the instructions in TT and reported those dollar figures in Boxes 1, 2, and 3 (as I mentioned earlier, that reporting increased my gross income and reduced refund). So, here's my follow up question - if I'm understanding your response correctly, I'll have to say "no" to the TT question on whether I received a 1099-Q form to avoid filling out those boxes as I don't see how do I avoid filling out those boxes when I say "yes" to that question! So, am I understanding your response correctly? If not, could you please elaborate a bit on what should I do re this particular 1099-Q (for the dependent child)? (Your advice on the "independent" child was great - thanks again!)

I just wanted to share the following because you mentioned 1098-T in your response: both kids got scholarship which covered their respective tuitions and their scholarships were reported in their respective tax filings (that didn't have any impact on their taxes or refunds except that TT said they were not qualified for those educational credits mentioned in TT and IRS lit you shared).

Thank you very much again for taking the time off from your very busy schedule to respond questions from "civilians" like me - really appreciated! 

Best wishes,

-Sanjib