Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Received Notice CP09 to fill out Form 15111

I filed my taxes at the end of January and received my return at the beginning of February. Shortly after, I received the CP09 notice from the IRS saying that I may qualify for the EIC. In accordance with the form, I believe that I qualify, so I filled out the attached form 15111 and mailed it in. I waited 8 weeks, then called the IRS and was told they had not even processed the form yet. This morning, I tried calling and was told that the call volume was so high that they could not receive my call. Then, I tried to file an amended tax return through TurboTax, which said I did not qualify for the EIC but did not give an explanation as to why. 

How should I proceed? If I wait long enough will I eventually receive the EIC from the Form 15111 I mailed?

If it is better to file an amended return, then how can I claim the EIC when the tax software is not allowing me to do so?

Any advice or experience on the subject is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

25 Replies

You cannot amend the return until the original return has finished processing so all you can do is WAIT. 

I believe the original return did finish processing months ago, in early February. 

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Processing the Form 15111 is part of processing the original return.

DO NOT file an amended return while the 15111 is in the pipeline. An amended return will just cause confusion and additional delay.

It might be another four months or more before you hear anything from the IRS. They are severely backlogged on anything that requires manual processing, which Form 15111 does. They have said that they hope to clear the backlog by the end of 2022. In the meantime, as Critter-3 said, there is nothing you can do but wait.

Do you want to amend for some reason other than the EIC?  Be aware that amended returns can take up to 6 months to process.

Got it, thanks. I will just keep waiting then 🙂

No, it would just be for the EIC. I was just getting concerned that they had not even processed the form yet I suppose and thought an amended return could be faster. But it seems best just to wait for now. 

I came on here for this exact reason. Received the form, filled it out, mailed it in over two months ago and have heard nothing. I've tried to called but any number I call just says I will have to call back the next business day. Guess I am just waiting. I was worried that my form was not received. I pretty much never mail anything and I am beating myself up for not mailing this priority or with tracking to be safe. 

L_R_R_22

I received one in March, I sent it in and haven’t heard anything g back. I called and they laughed when I said 6-8 weeks. Lol they hadn’t seen anything yet. It’s now been 14 weeks since I sent it in and still nothing. So, I guess I’m still playing the waiting game. 

Anything that requires a human to touch it is taking 6 months to a year to process and all you can do is wait for the IRS to get back to your return. 

I am in the same boat. They sent me Form 15111 on March 28th and I filled it out and returned it the very next day. I'm still waiting on any kind of response. I honestly just want to know if they even recieved it but can't get through when calling IRS. 😕 

You can try calling the number on the notice you were sent however anything requiring a human to process it is taking months and months again this year so all you can do is wait and check the IRS site once a week until you get the refund approved message.  

I have called the number given on the notice with no luck. I'm pretty much in the waiting game at this point. 

Received Notice CP09 to fill out Form 15111 back in January 2022.

6 months have passed and still no updates.

Anyone here received any checks or status updates?

No updates or checks 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies