Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

truttger1

If I have no income but paid property tax on a home I own, do I still need to file taxes?

I am a student living internationally. I rent my house in Oregon but I do not have any net income. I am wondering if I need to file a tax return this year because I still pay property taxes on my house. Will I get any money back from the property tax I pay? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AlanT
Expert Alumni
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

If I have no income but paid property tax on a home I own, do I still need to file taxes?

Yes, you must still file an income tax return even though your net income is zero.  You must report your rental income and expenses. If the income minus expenses result in a loss, you will be able to claim this loss against future income.    

Unfortunately, you will not get any money back from the property tax you pay.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

16 Replies
AlanT
Expert Alumni
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

Yes, you must still file an income tax return even though your net income is zero.  You must report your rental income and expenses. If the income minus expenses result in a loss, you will be able to claim this loss against future income.    

Unfortunately, you will not get any money back from the property tax you pay.  

Jkoolz01

I own a house, not income property and unemployment. Would I get penalized by IRS since I own a house and don't have an income?

MaryK4
Expert Alumni

No, if you are not required to file a tax return if you have no taxable or reportable income. @Jkoolz01​​​​​​​

[Edited 01/20/2020|11:45pm PST]

In this case, do you need to file both Federal and non-resident State for Oregon?

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

@qq1960 If you have no Income and are not required to File a Federal tax return, you probably don't need to file a state return either.  

Click this link for more info on Federal Filing Requirements. 

This link has Oregon Filing Requirements

Thanks. In other word, if you need to file Fed return with the income earned at other state, you will have to file the Oregon Non-resident return for the rental property net-income is zero (at a loss). Is this correct? 

Yes, that is correct. Here is a link to the instructions for filing an Oregon NR Return:

2020 Oregon Non-Resident Return Instructions

ronglenna1
Returning Member

One of my houses that i own and let my stepson and family live in it free/ I pay all taxes and repairs. I was under the understanding thar since family live in that house i could not claim anything becouse i am not getting any income from it.I have owned the house for 10 years and never claimed it. my email is [email address removed]. 

@ronglenna1 

You do NOT have a reportable rental property.... you just have a second home where family lives which is NOT reported on an income tax return. 

@truttger1 but if this is a 2nd home. the property taxes and mortgage interest are deductible if you itemize. 

Carl
Level 15

Removed by poster.

@Carl Please note that the original poster---who posted in 2019 or before --- is the one who is a student living internationally.   The most recent question in this thread is not from that student.   The most recent question is from a person who is allowing family members to live in a second home that they own.   Your reply may be confusing to that person.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Carl
Level 15

Thanks @xmasbaby0 

I just removed my response entirely, as it just added to confusion. Sure wish once the OP marked the thread as answered, it would auto-lock so other's couldn't add to it. 🙂

@Carl These old threads can really get confusing.   Some of them keep going and going for years.   

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies