Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Will we be able to Claim Third Stimulus Check on 2020 Tax Return

I am eligible for the pending third stimulus check based off my 2020 tax year return, but not my 2019 return.

Therefore, should I file my 2020 taxes on February 12th to ensure I receive this third stimulus check?

Or if I delay filing, will I still be able to claim this third stimulus check on my 2020 Turbotax return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

We have no idea at this point when or if a third stimulus bill will pass or how it will be implemented.   Everyone just has to wait and see what Congress does.   Hopefully they are not stupid enough to exclude taxpayers who already filed  2020 tax returns and dis-allow them to receive it.   But if you have not e-filed and want to wait, then wait.    The 2020 filing deadline is April 15; you can get an extension until October 15.   

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Congress has not voted for a third stimulus check so not sure what you are referring to,.  There have been two rounds of stimulus checks.

The stimulus checks were both advance credits for your 2020 tax return.   If you got the stimulus money last year you do not have to pay it back it your 2020 income is over the limit.   But if you did not receive it yet, your recovery rebate credit is based on your 2020 income,

Congress passed the 2nd stimulus bill at the end of 2020.   The 2nd stimulus checks started going out at the very end of December 2020 and continued into early January 2021.  When you fill out the recovery rebate credit it is important for you to enter the entire total of the amount you have received for yourself, your spouse, and your dependent children so far.   Entering the wrong amount might delay your 2020 refund.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Please note, I stated "pending"- my question is if the 3rd stimulus passes, what path should I take?

I am currently able to claim the first and second stimulus on my 2020 return.

We have no idea at this point when or if a third stimulus bill will pass or how it will be implemented.   Everyone just has to wait and see what Congress does.   Hopefully they are not stupid enough to exclude taxpayers who already filed  2020 tax returns and dis-allow them to receive it.   But if you have not e-filed and want to wait, then wait.    The 2020 filing deadline is April 15; you can get an extension until October 15.   

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies