turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why won't it switch to Itemized Deductions?

When I try to switch to Itemized Deductions I get caught in a loop. I click to switch to Itemized deductions but get sent back to the same screen to Change my deduction.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
RayW7
Expert Alumni

How do I switch to itemized deductions?

1. Sign into your TurboTax account > Click Tax Tools from the left-side menu.
  2. Select Tools from the drop-down menu.
  3. Click Topic Search, type Standard Deduction and click Go.
  4. On the next screen, Select change my deduction at the bottom of the screen. 

We automatically select the deduction that gives you the best outcome on your federal taxes. Most 2020 federal tax filers will be better off with the standard deduction versus the itemized deduction.

In TurboTax, you can always switch to a different deduction. However, if you and your spouse are filing separate federal returns, both of you must take the same deduction per IRS rules.

Tip: It's best to hold off on switching until after you've finished going through the Deductions & Credits section. That way you can get an accurate picture of how both deductions affect your bottom line. Also, keep in mind that switching to the other federal deduction may impact your state tax return.

Hi Ray. Thanks for your quick reply.

That is exactly what I am doing, but it will not switch to Itemized Deductions, it just stays in a loop telling me that Itemized deductions would be the best for me. When I do the review, I am still only seeing the Standard Deduction.

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

What is the amount of your Itemized Deductions versus Standard? 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

My Itemized amount is 24882 and Standard is 24800. Not a huge difference but adds a bit more to my refund with Itemized.

Did you enter any Charity Deductions?  You get to deduct up to 300 for charity in addition to the Standard Deduction on 1040 line 10b.  Look there.  So 24,800+300 is more than your Itemized Deductions.

Thanks! That was the problem. Seems like there is a glitch with the 300 CARES act deduction because my Itemized and Standard Deductions are so close. Even when I put that in, when I get to the Deductions and Credits review screen it is still suggesting that I Itemize my deductions and shows I should get a slightly higher refund, but it doesn't work. 

JoannaB2
Expert Alumni

The standard deduction for tax year 2020 is $24,800 for married filing joint, $12,400 for single, & $18,650 for Head of Household. The standard deduction reduces the amount of income you have to pay taxes on. You can either take the standard deduction or itemize (Schedule A).   

If the amount on line 12 of 1040 was over the amount of your standard deduction, then Turbo Tax will select itemized deductions on your retrun, Otherwise, standard deduction will automatically be the other option .

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies