turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

beschout

Why is it telling me that my mortgage interest credit isn't ready yet?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies
KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

Were you expecting a mortgage interest certificate? I cannot see your return in this forum, but suspect the mortgage interest credit was triggered instead of mortgage interest expense.

From the left navigation pane, go to Federal>Deductions&Credits>scroll down to Mortgage Interest Credit. 

If you actually do not have this, click Edit next to this line>Remove by clicking on the Trash can Icon.

Instead, go to the mortgage interest expense. It is listed under the "Your Home" category and will follow the Form 1098 details.

After entering in all your details, TurboTax will automatically calculate the largest deductions for you. 

dands6

Turbo Tax is telling me the same thing. I have a Mortgage Interest Credit Certificate and have for 5 years. It is also telling the form to claim this Form 8396 is not ready, but you can download it off the IRS website. 

Maybe the IRS is not letting people who claim this deduction to file yet.

@dands6 wrote:

Turbo Tax is telling me the same thing. I have a Mortgage Interest Credit Certificate and have for 5 years. It is also telling the form to claim this Form 8396 is not ready, but you can download it off the IRS website. 

Maybe the IRS is not letting people who claim this deduction to file yet.

Form 8396, Mortgage Interest Credit - Estimated date available 01/29/2020

https://care-cdn.prodsupportsite.a.intuit.com/forms-availability/turbotax_fed_online_individual.html

Damwarre

Hey! This is happening to me this year, just wondering, how did it get resolved for you guys?

Damwarre

How did you resolve this? The same thing is happening to me now. 

RaifH
Expert Alumni

The IRS is not yet ready to accept returns filed with Form 8396 for the Mortgage Interest Credit in 2021. This webpage has the latest information for the anticipated availability of various forms. Form 8396 currently has an estimated date of March 3, 2022.

To complete this form, you will need the issuer name, the certificate number, the credit rate, and the issue date.

mimiol

What is the reason for this delay? In past years I have been able to file my return including Form 8396 in late January/early February.

I'm wondering the same thing as I've never had to wait until March in previous years of filing...

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

The IRS started this filing season further behind than they have ever been in history.  Dealing with the IRS this year is not the same as the IRS of past years.  

This is the national taxpayer advocate's report to Congress for this year.  It's got a lot of information in it but its biggest takeaways are that the IRS started 2021's filing season with 6 million 2020 returns, 2.3 million amended returns, 5 million quarterly returns and 5 million pieces of correspondence unprocessed.  That was how they started the year.

It's just getting more interesting from there.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

that is not true. other filing platforms and tax preppers are having no issue with mortgage credit forms to file it is just turbo tax 

Explains  the tricky e mail that told me my forms were ready all I had to do way pay BS, paid and surprise not that form, afraid we'd all figure that out and file with another company? Not an unusual form to have, so makes NO sense.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies