turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why is it saying 0 return when I have two kids?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

@lizzyjbrady I agree with Critter.  Who really supported you and your children?  It sounds like someone else who worked and supported all of you should be claiming all of you as dependents.  If you file for your tiny amount of child-related credit for yourself, though, you deprive the person who supported you of being able to claim any of you and get a better tax benefit.

Child related credits are affected by how much you earn by working.  You did not work much.  So if you heard that you were going to get $2000 per child for the child tax credit--you heard wrong.  It does not work that way at all.  

Look at your Form 1040 to see the child-related credits you are getting for the income you entered:

Child Tax Credit line 13a

Credit for Other Dependents line 13a

Earned Income Credit line 18a

Additional Child Tax Credit line 18b

Child and Dependent Care Credit line 18d

PREVIEW 1040

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901539-how-do-i-preview-my-turbotax-online-return-before-filing

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

10 Replies

Did you enter in any income yet ?  

All of the child-related credits require you to enter income you earned form working.  If you have not yet entered your W-2's or 1099Misc from working then you will not see any credits like earned income or child tax credit.  Go to Federal>Wages and Income to enter your income.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Yeah but I only worked one month last year so it’s only $704.xx on my taxes but I thought I’d still get something for my children. Trying not to panic but I really need that money for bills. 

Good Grief ... first you are not eligible for any Child Tax Credit and any earned income credit would be tiny... review the return to see what that amount is  ... who did you live with that supported you and the kids ?   Maybe they will benefit more by claiming you all if you qualify as dependents. 

Your income tax is a refund from paying too much tax in from your paychecks during the year. You have to work and pay taxes out of your check to get the refund back. I'm not sure if you will get anything. I dont have children so I can't comment on the child credit. 

@lizzyjbrady I agree with Critter.  Who really supported you and your children?  It sounds like someone else who worked and supported all of you should be claiming all of you as dependents.  If you file for your tiny amount of child-related credit for yourself, though, you deprive the person who supported you of being able to claim any of you and get a better tax benefit.

Child related credits are affected by how much you earn by working.  You did not work much.  So if you heard that you were going to get $2000 per child for the child tax credit--you heard wrong.  It does not work that way at all.  

Look at your Form 1040 to see the child-related credits you are getting for the income you entered:

Child Tax Credit line 13a

Credit for Other Dependents line 13a

Earned Income Credit line 18a

Additional Child Tax Credit line 18b

Child and Dependent Care Credit line 18d

PREVIEW 1040

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901539-how-do-i-preview-my-turbotax-online-return-before-filing

I live with my husband but he’s been out of a job for over a year now. Not to mention he has student loans left and they always take what ever return he gets. So that’s why I always claim them. But I guess this year we get no help at all. It already says I’m not getting anything back on my taxes and like I said I understand that because I didn’t make hardly anything. I just didn’t know you had to make a certain amount to get anything back for your kids. 

It makes sense now I just didn’t really think about it or realize it until it was too late and now I’m really screwed. Thanks for all the help or explanations, I appreciate it. 

@lizzyjbrady Sorry--but yes, your child related credits are affected in a very big way by the amount of income you earn.  The IRS does not just give a set amount per child.  So, we sympathize, but do not have better news for you about your tax refund,

I have, as I posted below I only made $704.xx so yeah I won’t see anything. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies