turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why does it say i qualify for the Earned Income Tax credit when i do not have a qualifying dependent and make more money than allowed?

My fiancé is claiming our daughter this year and I input that I am not claiming her and I input my income which is double the threshold allowed to qualify without a dependent as a single individual. It says i qualify and the credit is being applied. i dont understand why
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
SamS1
Expert Alumni

Why does it say i qualify for the Earned Income Tax credit when i do not have a qualifying dependent and make more money than allowed?

She is still your qualifying child.  I am guessing she is not the child of your fiancé.  Therefore, he would not be able to claim the earned income tax credit or the child tax credit.  It would best if you included her on your tax return as a dependent to get the additional $2,000 child tax credit.

Click here for more information on qualifying children and the earned income tax credit

Hal_Al
Level 15

Delete your child from TurboTax.  It is not enough to just tell TT you are not claiming her.

The interview is confusing (it's designed for divorced parents, who are allowed to split the child). The second parent should not enter the child, at all.

If both parents live together then the one NOT claiming the child should NOT have the child entered on their return at all ... delete the child in the MY INFO section.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies