Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where to enter prior years' tax payments in TT?

I'm in the TT section that asks for any state tax payments in the prior year. But in 2021 I made state tax payments for *three* prior years. Where can I enter those in TT? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

All State income taxes paid in 2021 can be entered as an itemized deduction on Schedule A of the federal tax return.

To enter state income taxes paid -

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Deductions and Credits
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Scroll down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid
  • On Other Income Taxes, click on the start or update button

On the next screen scroll down to Other Income Taxes Paid in 2021

Or enter state taxes paid in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to state taxes paid

View solution in original post

@DaveLaQ wrote:

Thanks for your help, but neither approach seems applicable to my program. It's TT Home and Business 2021 (CD/desktop). Does that change anything? Your steps don't seem to apply to what I see here.

Other than using Personal instead of Federal Taxes, the procedure works for the Home & Business Edition.

After clicking on Start on Other Income Taxes (or Income Taxes) in the Estimates and Other Taxes Paid section -

Other Income Taxes TTD.JPGScroll down and select the state taxes paid in 2021 for tax due in 2020 and then select prior years paid in 2021 -

Other Taxes Paid State TTD.JPG

View solution in original post

6 Replies

All State income taxes paid in 2021 can be entered as an itemized deduction on Schedule A of the federal tax return.

To enter state income taxes paid -

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Deductions and Credits
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Scroll down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid
  • On Other Income Taxes, click on the start or update button

On the next screen scroll down to Other Income Taxes Paid in 2021

Or enter state taxes paid in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to state taxes paid

Thanks for your help, but neither approach seems applicable to my program. It's TT Home and Business 2021 (CD/desktop). Does that change anything? Your steps don't seem to apply to what I see here.

@DaveLaQ wrote:

Other than using Personal instead of Federal Taxes, the procedure works for the Home & Business Edition.

After clicking on Start on Other Income Taxes (or Income Taxes) in the Estimates and Other Taxes Paid section -

Other Income Taxes TTD.JPGScroll down and select the state taxes paid in 2021 for tax due in 2020 and then select prior years paid in 2021 -

Other Taxes Paid State TTD.JPG

Great, thanks. Not sure what my problem was the first time.

FYI, I don't get a "jump" option of any kind using the search box as you describe. Not that I need to. 🙂

Thanks, again, for your help.

FWIW, I figured out how to get the jump link to appear. After typing the search term in the search box, I have to click on the magnifying glass icon to get the jump link. Otherwise, all I see is options in a drop-down list.

Looks like you have to nail the phrase exactly to get the jump link. In this case it's "state taxes paid." But where did that come from? The page it jumps to is called "Estimates and Other Income Taxes Paid." Searching under that term brings up no jump to link.

I ask because I'd like to use this jump feature in the future via Search. How does one formulate a successful search term to get a jump link?

There seem to be only a few preset search term to get a Jump To link.  And as you found out you have to type them exactly a certain way including Upper or lower case, etc.  You can hit the enter key instead of the mag glass.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies