turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where is Form 8863 on free file version?

Currently filing through the IRS Free File turbo tax version. I know that I qualify for the Lifelong Learning Credit, so I need to fill out Form 8863. Where does this come up on the free file version? I've already gone all the way through the federal section and it was not available anywhere. Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

You can generate Form 8863 by going through the Education section in the Deductions and Credits Section.   There is not a separate entry spot for each of the education credits, instead, you enter all of your expenses in the 1098-T section and TurboTax will calculate your credit options for you.   Use the 1098-T section even if you don't have a 1098-T, all education expenses go there anyway.  

Here's how to get to the Education section:

1. Open (continue) your return, if you don't already have it open.
  2. Search for 1098t and select the Jump to link at the top of your search results.
  3. On the ''Do you want to enter your higher education expenses?'' screen, answer Yes 

You can also click on Start next to Education Expenses/1098-T in the Education section within the Deductions and Credits (Federal) area.  You need to add yourself as a student and then proceed to add the school.   Once you continue through you will be able to add other expenses.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for the reply! TurboTax is saying that I don't qualify for the Lifetime Learning Credit and is making me use the Tuition and Fees Deduction ($4000) instead. This is not true though, I confirmed with the IRS that I do qualify for the Lifetime Learning Credit. How can I tell the software I want to use the Lifetime Learning Credit instead and not the Tuition and Fees Deduction? 

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

After you enter all your information, the program will choose the best tax benefit among the three choices, American Opportunity Tax Credit, Life time Learning Credit or the Tuition and Fees Deduction.   However, if you do not agree with the program, you have an option to override the selection by using the "letme" feature.    To see how you do that, click here: Let Me

To verify your eligibility for the LIfetime Learning Credit, click here: Lifetime Learning Credit

Thank you so much! I spent over an hour on the phone and your advice was far more helpful than what they could tell me. 

I used the letme tool and unchecked Tuition and Fees Deduction and checked the Lifetime Learning Credit, but it's still only applying the Tuition and Fees Deduction. So my refund amount didn't change. There must be some bug with the software... are there any other steps I could try? Should I just start over?

If your refund didn't change, then before deleting anything or starting over, it would be best to view your tax return and look for the credit.  You should also look for the worksheet. To view your click on Tax Tools on the left side of the screen. Click on Tools. Click on View Tax Summary. Click on Preview my 1040 on the left side of the screen.  Keep in mind, the credit is partially refundable and there is a calculation that determines how much you will receive.  

Here's some more information about the American Opportunity Credit.

@snuty

n0n0
Level 1

Does this mean that I can take advantage of the Lifetime Learning Credit if I am using the free version?

Thank you!

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

No, you will need to upgrade from a free version to claim the lifetime learning credit. You may wish to look into the IRS Free File if you are looking to claim this credit and not spend the extra money for tax preparation software.

@n0n0

Use this IRS site for other ways to file for free.  There are 8  free software versions available from the IRS Free File site

https://apps.irs.gov/app/freeFile/

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
n0n0
Level 1

Very helpful - thank you!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies