turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where do i apply for the child credit American Rescue Plan Act of 2021,

i need to apply for the stimulus and the portal is closed and having trouble through irs
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Are you asking about the 3rd Stimulus payment for 1400 per person?  And the Child Tax Credit?  If you didn't get them you have to claim it on your 2021 tax return.  Have you file a 2021 return yet?  

When was your child born?  Did you get any of the Advance Child Tax Credit in July-Dec?  You need to double check your bank account and see if you got the 3rd Stimulus payment and Advance Child Tax Credit .  A lot of people forgot or missed they did get the payments during the year.

The 3rd Stimulus payment will show up as the Recovery Rebate Credit on 1040 line 30.  The Child Tax Credit is on line 28.  

To get to the stimulus questions in TurboTax at any time, you can search for stimulus or recovery rebate credit then hit ENTER and there should be a Jump to link

If you are trying to trigger it,

Click on Other Tax Situations at top

Click on Let's get started

Answer some questions then Continue

Then click on Let's keep going

Next screen is for the Third Stimulus, if you qualify

If you did not get prompted to enter your stimulus information, that means you either:

1. Filed as a dependent being claimed on another tax return, or 
  2. have an AGI too high to claim the recovery rebate credit

The 3rd Stimulus payment started going out in March 2021 and is for 1,400 for each person listed on your tax return, no age limit. The IRS used your 2020 (or 2019) return to send the checks out fast. If your 2021 return changes and you qualify for more you can claim the extra as the Recovery Rebate Credit on 1040 line 30. But line 30 is only if you didn't get the full amount or qualify for more. Not the amount you already got. The IRS also sent out letter 6475 to tell you how much they sent you . If you are married then each spouse should get a letter for half.

The only way to get either the stimulus money or the child tax credit is by filing a tax return.  There is no "portal" on the IRS site to use.  If you cannot  be claimed as someone else's dependent on a 2021 tax return you can get the 3rd stimulus and/or the child tax credit on a 2021 tax return.

Make sure you have entered your child as a dependent in My Info, and that you have entered the child's Social Security number.    Careful— do not say that your child’s SSN is not valid for employment.  If your child was born in 2021 make sure you said he lived with you the whole year.  There is an oddly worded question that asks if the child paid over half their own support.  Say NO to that question.

If you did NOT receive any of the advance child tax credit payments between July and December you can get it on your tax return--it will show up on line 28.   If you received the advance payments then you can get the other "half" on line 28.

If you did not receive the 3rd stimulus you can get the $1400 per person on line 30 by using the recovery rebate credit in Federal Review.

Check your bank account to see you received deposits last year for the stimulus and/or the child tax credit payments, since so many people have become confused and do not know what they received or when they received it.  

And....check your online IRS account to see what the IRS shows for you.

https://www.irs.gov/payments/your-online-account

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

The IRS portal was for advance payments of the Child Tax Credit in 2021. It's too late to get an advance payment now. You get the full Child Tax Credit by claiming it on your 2021 tax return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies