Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Where do I add a 1099-S (proceeds from real estate transactions)?

Perhaps there is no place in TT Premier 2020 that asks for Form 1099-S regarding the sale of rental property.

Yes, I can enter the sales price of the rental sale, but Form 1099-S is not included as a heading.

TT should be specific about Form 1099-S.  Your online explanations are NOT correct. There is no "jump to" prompt when I search "rentals."

Please, fix your product. I've spent nearly 2 hours looking for something that probably does not exist.

How about a free copy of TT 2021?

@geneagray wrote:

Perhaps there is no place in TT Premier 2020 that asks for Form 1099-S regarding the sale of rental property.

Yes, I can enter the sales price of the rental sale, but Form 1099-S is not included as a heading.

TT should be specific about Form 1099-S.  Your online explanations are NOT correct. There is no "jump to" prompt when I search "rentals."

Please, fix your product. I've spent nearly 2 hours looking for something that probably does not exist.

How about a free copy of TT 2021?

Premier desktop 2020  > Search > rentals > Jump to > Screenshot

Rentals Search TTD.JPG

Your link to Need to enter sale of rental property where do I find this schedule?   is not accurate. There is no "jump to" in TT Premier 2020.

I'm using TT 2020, for a rental sale in 2020, not for a sale of rental property in 2019.

This is my worst experience using TT for probably 15+ years. 

As I stated in another reply, perhaps there is no Form 1099-S mentioned in the program. When I was prompted to enter other 1099s, 1099-S is not mentioned.

I see your screen shot, but my program does not do that. I've tried many times. 

@geneagray wrote:

I see your screen shot, but my program does not do that. I've tried many times. 

Windows or Mac?

Windows. I bought the CD to install the program and I have the current updates.

Here are some keywords to try, all should give a Jump to link

1099-r

ssa-1099

w-2

interest income

unemployment

If you do not receive a Jump to link for any of those keywords there is something on your local PC preventing the search function to work properly.

Contact TurboTax support for assistance with this issue.

Use this website to contact TurboTax support during business hours - https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

Anonymous
Not applicable

1099-S are handled much better on there On-line version. They are non-existent desktop/downloaded version. I've wasted hours finding this out. The online version convinced me I needed to upgrade to Permire. I could of done the BS way 1099-B on deluxe. The way they tell you to do it could be wrong too. You can not clam a loss if your sale was personal property.  This i learned from the online version...

How do I fill out 8949 for sale of 7 year residence with less than $250,000 capital gain? I received a 1099-S from the title company for the full amount of the sale even though it was a residence of 7 years but I had not physically lived there for only 5 months before sale!!

ToddL99
Expert Alumni

What do you mean by "I had not physically lived there for only 5 months before sale"? 

How long did you occupy the house as your principal residence? 

Did you move out 5 months before the sale?

Replying to ToddL99

I had lived there physically continuously in that house seven years and eight months  and it was my principal and only residence until I  ended up in the hospital , rehab and then in an assisted living place for 5 months after  an accident and fracture while all my belongings were still back in the house until In decide to sell it. Therefore I owned the house continuously for 8 years and physically  lived it in almost all that time and owned it until the sale.. Just clarifying!!

vherle5

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

@Vherle5 Enter the sale of your home in the Sale of Home section of TurboTax.

• Type home sale in Search in the upper right
  • Select Jump to home sale
  • Answer the questions. TurboTax will report the sale on Form 8949

Time spent in the hospital, rehab and assisted living counts as time "lived in your home." The IRS says: If you become physically or mentally unable to care for yourself, and you use the residence as your principal residence for 12 months in the 5 years preceding the sale or exchange, any time you spent living in a care facility (such as a nursing home) counts toward your 2-year residence requirement, so long as the facility has a license from a state or other political entity to care for people with your condition.

See: Publication 523 Selling Your Home

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Franko2
Returning Member

Is it ok to add my 1099-S, Here under Investment Income 1099-B, 1099-S, Real Estate, Inherited to beneficiary's this is not my primary resident.  I used my closing statement and real estate comps for the time of inquired to then sold. It all seemed to work out ok . I am using Deluxe TTax.  Thanks Frank

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Please review this Turbo Tax link and select the link within this link for a sale of an inherited home. Here it says you can enter this info in the investment section of TurboTax so you are correct in your assumption on how to report this.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies