turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TurboTax unfortunately "missed" adding my EIC on my 2021 taxes. Has anyone received their EIC check from the IRS yet? 6 to 8 weeks was NOT true!

Recieved a letter from the IRS stating I may be eligible for the EIC. I filled out the paper work, mailed it in. IRS said 6 to 8 weeks, it's been well over that! I can't even get ahold of anyone to ask... ? Can someone help me please...
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies

TurboTax unfortunately "missed" adding my EIC on my 2021 taxes. Has anyone received their EIC check from the IRS yet? 6 to 8 weeks was NOT true!

Unfortunately, the IRS is severely backlogged and it’s taking months to process what should only take a few weeks. Especially mailed in information. Expect it to take several months. 

@Sunflowermomma88 - I've seen a number of posts where the IRS sent out these letters stating you MAY be eligble for EITC, but no one has posted they heard back from the IRS.  On the other hand, I am confounded what it is that Turbo Tax missed.... it is an automated calculation.   By chance was your AGI (Line 11) LOWER than these numbers? I'd appreciate a post back.

Single / HOH/ MFS / Qual Widow

Married – Joint

0 Children

$9,800

$9,800

1 Child

$10,600

$10,600

2 Children

$14,950

$14,950

3 Children

$14,950

$14,950

@NCperson   Is it because they could use 2019 to lookback but didn't?  

You can look back and use your 2019 income for the EIC credit instead of 2020 & 2021.   How to use the Lookback provision

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/earned-income-credit/help/how-do-i-use-the-lookback-provision-to-m...

@Sunflowermomma88   What did they ask you to fill out?   Did it ask for your 2019 info and income?

The IRS or TurboTax? 

When asked about the EIC I wasn't sure because it asked me to compare 2019 tax year. So I just selected no.. I didnt know it was the earned income. I know it's mu fault and TurboTax could have explained it better and raised a flag or something. It would have been alot easier. I had no idea about it until the IRS sent me the letter. That was in early March. I returned it back to the IRS the very next day. The letter said you should receive your check by mail in 6 to 8 weeks. If you weren't eligible the IRS didn't want you to send back the return letter. I'm just trying to find out what's going on, if anyone else has received their checks or heard anything? It's been 4 months now. No word? 

Yes that's exactly it

It's been 4 months 

@VolvoGirl @Sunflowermomma88 - that is what I figured...... it's about the 2019 earned income.... but here is the thing...

if your 2021 earned incomeis less than this table then it MAY increase the EITC  that was already calculated .  But if the taxpayer didn't enter the 2019 earned income when preparing the return, ther was no way for Turbo Tax to know that.   So I wonder if these are the situations where the IRS is sending out these letters. 

If your 2021 earned income is greater than this table, looking back to 2019 is not going to change whatever was calculated for EITC already.  Hopefully, the IRS is not sending out letters for these situations because it creates false hope that EITC dollars will be mailed to the taxpayer (let alone the thought that TT calculated the EiTC incorrectly) 

@VolvoGirl This table is just the math behind the law: if your 2019 earned income is greater than your 2021 earned income AND it creates a better EITC tax credit, you can use 2019 earned income to determine the credit.  Above these 2021 income numbers that will not be true.  Below these numbers is MAY be true (but it MAY not be - the math is complex)

Single / HOH/ MFS / Qual Widow

Married – Joint

0 Children

$9,800

$9,800

1 Child

$10,600

$10,600

2 Children

$14,950

$14,950

3 Children

$14,950

$14,950

See my income was more this tax year than it was in 2019.. Uh I'm so confused and frustrated over this 🤷🏼‍♀️ If I already received my EIC on my tax refund this year then why would the IRS send a letter after I already filed and recieved my refund, saying that I didn't claim my EIC? It told me to fill out the paper to see if I was eligible. From what the letter had me fill out, it clearly said I was eligible! I have one child who is under 18 whom I care for all year long. I file head of house hold. From what I read and understood from the IRS website I should be getting $2000-3000 back for the EIC that wasn't claimed on my 2022 taxes! I don't know?  A girl I worked with has 6 kids all under the age 18. Hmm yea but anyways her refund was $14,000!!!!!! I kid you not! How do I get a hold of the IRS to ask them this because everytime I call I never get through to anyone? The automated lady tells me to choose an option but my situation isn't listed as an option. I think she asked if I received a letter from the IRS press 1 and so I do but then she talks about if I owe money to the IRS which I don't. Then I get mad and hang up! I think I just give up. Thanks for the help everyone!! Very kind of you 🥰

Please stay safe in this crazy world we live in now days!✌🏻💜

@Sunflowermomma88 - what is on Line 27a of Form 1040?  Did you get ANYTHING so far????? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies