Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

JoannaB2
Expert Alumni

TurboTax is incorrectly combining mortgage loan principal from multiple 1098 forms due to a mortgage service transfer (California). How do I fix this?

Yes, you may claim mortgage interest deduction on a loan used to buy/build a home up to $750,000 for married filing joint ($375,000 for married filing separate). The home mortgage loan must be secured by the property to qualify for the deduction. The following are steps to enter deductible home mortgage interest:

1. Login to Turbo Tax.
  2. Under Federal Taxes, in Deduction and Credit tab, click "I'll choose what I work on".
  3. Under " Your 2020 Deduction and Credit", click update or start next to Mortgage Interest, Refinancing, and Insurance.
  4. Under " Home Loan deduction summary" click edit  and enter the lender's information, one at a time.
  5. Click continue until you get to the screen " Is this loan secured by a property of yours?" 
  6. Click Done.
  7. The next screen is a question " Do any of the situation apply to you?". Your answer here will determine if your loan exceeded the allowed home mortgage loan amount.

See,why is my mortgage, and click go here if you encountered any issues.

TurboTax is incorrectly combining mortgage loan principal from multiple 1098 forms due to a mortgage service transfer (California). How do I fix this?

THIS ISSUE IS STILL NOT FIXED!!!! I have spent hours and hours trying to get this right and am at least relieved that I am not the only one, but how many millions of people are filing their returns without realizing that TT is costing them money? In my case it’s a $2000 difference.  I have cleared out the entire return and started from scratch, I have deleted and re-entered the 1098s multiple times.  I thought I had it fixed and then logged in today to file and it had reverted to the wrong amount AGAIN. I NEED MY REFUND BUT CANT FILE UNTIL THIS GETS FIXED!!!

@JoannaB2 

You keep mentioning step 7 but that question does not come up.  I’m using the online version 

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Some TurboTax customers are experiencing an issue with their home mortgage average balance. This can cause the home mortgage interest to be incorrectly limited.  This may be affecting your tax return.

Please sign up for email notifications when an update related to this issue is available here.

See also this TurboTax Help.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Put me in the category of people experiencing this issue. I am using the Mac version of the product. I refinanced in May 2020. The refinanced loan was then transferred one month later to another lender. I first entered the 1098 information for both the old lender (Chase) and the lender the refinanced loan was transferred to (Wells Fargo), as those were all I had. I received a third 1098 in the mail yesterday, from Presidential, the lender we did the refinance through. When I enter it into the software and answer the questions, I see my tax liability change by over $2,000. If enter $0 for "Outstanding Mortgage Principle" for one of the 1098 forms from the refinance lender or the lender the loan was transferred to, the numbers work and I get to deduct all of my mortgage interest, but this of course means entering a number in the tax return that doesn't match what is on the 1098, which I'm not at all comfortable with.

There is a note in the software for multiple 1098 forms to be entered as a single form with the appropriate boxes summed. This also is just not right, as again it is suggesting the solution is to enter information different from what is on the form and then provide a written explanation. I should not have to explain in my tax return why I'm entering information that doesn't match forms filed with the IRS because the tax preparation software fails to account for this very common situation.

I'd prefer to see a fix to the software issue rather than explain away the bug in my tax return.

Also having this problem: received 3 separate 1098s because of a refinance, followed by the sale of the mortgage, and TurboTax is aggregating the amount in Box 2 to put me over the deduction limit. IRS guidance seems to say that this mortgage balance should be treated as one average here, so I don’t understand why TurboTax can’t fix their system to recognize a single loan having more than one disposition in a year: refinanced, transferred, sold. 

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Some TurboTax customers are experiencing an issue with their home mortgage average balance. This can cause the home mortgage interest to be incorrectly limited.  This may be affecting your tax return.

Please sign up for email notifications when an update related to this issue is available here.

JoannaB2
Expert Alumni

Yes, we are aware of this experience, please click here to sign up for updates. Or, you can click here to contact us directly

Anonymous
Not applicable

I just wanted to chime in with my experience with the multiple 1098 issue as a user experiencing this for the past couple years. Last year I followed the advisement given and just entered the outstanding loan amount in Box 2 for the 1098 that was effective as of January 1, and then $0 for every subsequent 1098 to get around this issue in their software. It seems there is a lot of concern with doing this.

In fact, when you finally finish up through the process and actually look at the tax forms before you transmit them, from what I can tell, what is reported the IRS is the mortgage interest that is entered on line 8A on the 1040 and Schedule A.  The IRS doesn't see what you enter into Turbo Tax's software, they just see what is on the 1040 submitted. As long as that mortgage interest amount is accurate and was calculated in accordance with IRS rules, I don't have much concern with what I am reporting.

I am concerned that because mortgage interest entered seems to be incorrectly being reduced in TT that this issue is probably costing many users $$$. Clearly the steps or info presented on the screen are inadequate and the calculations too opaque.  It shouldn't be this difficult and, like the other users experiencing out for the first time, I also spent wasted hours trying every possible combination of 1098 entry, following countless steps the TT experts provided, all to no avail. Combining multiple 1098 due to mortgage transfers or refis for the same loan and property should be a straightforward calculation and not this difficult. This has taught me to always check the final docs before submitting and as I no longer trust the software to do what I have relied on it to do for me all these years. 

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Some TurboTax customers are experiencing an issue with their home mortgage average balance. This can cause the home mortgage interest to be incorrectly limited.  This may be affecting your tax return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies