Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbo tax lists more medical expenses than i actually had

Turbotax is recommending I take itemized deduction but appears to be making up some medical expenses. When i searched for "medical expenses, sch a” , to see detail, i got only the sorry you had medical expenses, which i really didn't

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

Medical can come from other places, even from a W2 or 1099R.

Did you buy health insurance from the Marketplace exchange?  Or have to pay back the subsidy?  If you went to an exchange for Health Insurance, and had to pay back some of the subsidy, part of the adjustment will flow to Schedule A.

If you get Social Security benefits the medicare deduction on your SSA-1099 will flow to Schedule A.

Or are you seeing the amount listed for the 7.5% of AGI?

Is it this?

If you receive Social Security benefits, your Medicare is deducted from your SS.   When you enter the SSA1099 for your Social Security, the amount paid for Medicare flows automatically to the medical expense section of the software, so do not enter it again.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Only 1099R here, and the amount there is what we entered along with a few other items. That resulted in a much smaller number. Our actual med costs were well below the 7.5% limit. 

no  soc. sec. benefits received

We had no Social security benefits received, and thus did not have an SSA1099

Thanks to all who reviewed and replied. After comparing last year’s taxes, where real medical expenses were about the same, but income higher; and where the standard deduction was the optimal choice, I elected to do the same and take the standard. So the mystery medical expenses will remain just that. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies