turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

llhov

Our home office is deducting our full real estate taxes paid? I already entered them in the property tax section? it looks like it is Doubling the real estate taxes paid?

I had to put $0 in the property taxes section under the personal tab for it to "go away" and have the correct amount - hope its correct 😕

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Our home office is deducting our full real estate taxes paid? I already entered them in the property tax section? it looks like it is Doubling the real estate taxes paid?

You should not enter anything under Property Tax in the Deductions and Credits section if you are entering it in your business with your home office. If you put a zero, the program will do the math and add it for you.

@llhov

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

If I enter my home office real estate taxes paid for the entire home, the instructions indicate I should enter the same amount for the home office only expenses. Is that correct?

MayaD
Expert Alumni

Enter your property tax in the Home Office and TurboTax will then automatically calculate how much of this taxes can be deducted for your home office. It will also add any remaining interest to Schedule A. 

Thanks, but that was not what I asked.

TT seems to be instructing me to enter my total 2019 property taxes paid on both the page that summarizes the expenses for the entire home as well as the page that summarizes expenses for the home office only.

Is that correct?

MayaD
Expert Alumni

No, enter the property tax only as an expense for the entire home.

I'm also having the problem with excess real estate taxes page. Perhaps the problem is "If you paid real estate taxes but are not itemizing deductions, answer "Yes" here." refers to itemizing deductions. I don't itemize deductions...unless you call writing in my expenses and home office expenses as itemizing deductions. Turbotax, can you please clarify this page?

The home office deduction is not considered itemizing.  Before going any further, to answer your question about the home office deduction, it's important to know whether you are a self-employed independent contractor or if you are an employee.

Employees

Employees working from home can't take the home office deduction, even if you've been asked to work from home due to COVID-19. This has been in place since 2018, when the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act was signed into law. Prior to that, employees who worked from home at the convenience of their employer were allowed to deduct home office expenses under the 2% rule.

Here is a TurboTax article with more information about employees and home office deductions.

Self-employed sole proprietors and business owners

If you work for yourself and conduct business from home, you can take a home office deduction.  

To enter your home office expense along with other common business expenses:

1. Open or continue your return.
  2. Search for Schedule C and select the Jump to link in the search results.
  3. Answer any questions about your business until you get to the Your self-employed work summary screen. Select Edit or Review next to your business.
    • You might want to enter your 1099-MISC1099-K, cash, and personal check income from your self-employment before you associate any expenses with your business, but this is not required.
  4. You'll be asked What kind of expenses did you have for [type of work]? Select Home office. You can also select any other expense categories that apply to your business. Select Continue at the bottom of the screen when you're done.
  5. On the Here's your [type of work] info screen, scroll down to the Expenses section, and select Start  next to Home office.
  6. Enter the info about your home office.

Here is a TurboTax article with more information about entering the home office deduction for businesses.

@musicalnotes

Let me clarify. I am self-employed and have been using turbotax for many years. This is the first time I've had this issue. It is telling me if I don't deduct then to record it here. So I did. Later I discovered it now has my real estate taxes doubled as a result of doing that. I do not itemize deductions. It tells me to enter it on this excess real estate tax page I am NOT deducting . It doesn't tell me NOT to because I'm self-employed. It only tells me not to record it on this excess real estate tax page if I'm NOT going to deduct it. As you are saying putting it on the home business part of the site is NOT deducting.  I already filled out the home office information and had it recorded there. This is why it is VERY confusing. Can you please clean this page up so it is less confusing? I have really liked turbotax because of how easy it is to follow but this was an exception.

Intuit should be ashamed for allowing this mess to continue for so long. Their prompts are confusing, and even their reps scratch their heads at the DOUBLE-TALK written into the Turbo Prompts.   This company is setting people up for an audit and and I highly doubt they'll come to your aid if you DO get audited. 

Intuit, please just rename your program TurboGLITCH, because that's what it really is.

randelld

I think this is a bug.  I have two home offices.  It asked for it twice during the business section which you do first.  It should auto populate when the second home office deduction is being entered.  Now I have to figure out how to delete it and I am sure the home office deduction will now be incorrect. 

The information entered for one home office should not auto populate to the second home office.  Each home office should have the proportion of the mortgage that corresponds to its portion of the home.  

@randelld

in TT2021 the next page after answering yes to "paying real estate taxes, but are not itemizing deductions" is 2 choices and both apply.  I'm confused on which one to check. I have a home office and entered the entire amount of property tax when asked. Should I put 0 for the "Entire Home Excess Real Estate Taxes" and also put the entire amount again in the next area for "Home Office Only Excess Real Estate Taxes"?

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Delete your Real Estate Tax Entry in the Deductions & Credits section. 

In the Home Office section, you can enter your total property tax.  TurboTax will calculate the amount for the Home Office Deduction and put the remainder on Schedule A for you.

Click this link for more info on Property Tax and Home Office

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies