turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I purchased a farm vehicle / truck, where do I put down the value I paid as an expense and list as an asset?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

I purchased a farm vehicle / truck, where do I put down the value I paid as an expense and list as an asset?

That is done under the Farm/Business Assets (depending on if you use Schedule F or C) section in TurboTax Home and Business (see images).  TurboTax will walk you through setting up the truck and calculating the depreciation to expense.   When you indicate that this is a new asset, you will be given other depreciation options.  

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5387864

bsm210

What are the implications of selling the vehicle after 5+ years?

ToddL99
Expert Alumni

If you sell a vehicle that has been depreciating for 5+ years, then any gain on the sale of that vehicle will be increased by whatever depreciation expense was claimed while it was in service.

(If you had a loss on the sale, it would have been reduced by whatever depreciation expense was claimed while it was in service).

Gain (loss) on the sale = Gross Proceeds from Sale minus Cost (what you paid for it) plus Accumulated Depreciation.

I'm assuming you own a business and the asset has been depreciated through a Sch F or Sch C or some other business. 

Because you use it for business the sale is reported on the Form 4797. The best thing to do is buy a replacement car/truck and then treat it as a like kind exchange. Which is reported on the Form 8824. There you will have to run through a computation on a worksheet which will give you the basis (for depreciation purposes) of the replacement vehicle. 2020 Instructions for Form 8824 (irs.gov)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies