turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

taxquery2

Stimulus for F-1 student turned Resident Alien

Hi. I filed as a resident alien this year. I came to the US in August of 2015 on a J1 visa and then switched to F1 in 2016. I passed the substantial presence test and therefore filed as a resident alien. I received the stimulus check amount of $1800 through my tax returns and then received another $1400 after. I know that I am eligible for the $1400 since it is after I filed as a resident alien. But am I eligible for the whole of $1800 which was given out in 2020. Since I came to the US in August of 2015, I passed the substantial presence test around the same time in 2020 so I'm confused as to whether I am eligible for the stimulus money given in early 2020.  Or since I filed as a resident alien in the 2020 tax year, I am considered a resident alien for the whole year, and since this is the first time I filed as a resident alien, the stimulus check amount was paid as a tax return and I am indeed eligible for it? Happy to return anything that  I am not eligible for. Thanks for clarifying. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
pk
Level 15
Level 15

@taxquery2 , assuming that your  original entry ( with J ) and subsequent status adjustment were all as a student, your five calendar year exemption would have expired at the end of 2019. Thus 2020 calendar  year would be first year you started counting days towards substantial presence  test.   You would have met the  SPT  in June of 2020 and  become a "Resident for Tax purposes".   Under the CARES Act, US persons ( Citizen, Residents with Green Card and Resident for Tax purposes) with a valid SSN are eligible for the Economic Impact Payments (EIP)

Does  this answer  your query?   Is there more I can do for you  ?

taxquery2

@pk Thank you. So just to clarify, since I was considered a resident alien for tax purposes in 2020, I rightfully have all the stimulus check amounts, including the ones that were given before June 2020? 

pk
Level 15
Level 15

yep

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies