turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Standard deduction

I have Turbo Tax Deluxe. I finished income and I want to take standard deduction. How do I do this with this program? Were do I go on the screen to start standard deduction.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

30 Replies

You receive the Standard Deduction automatically.  If you enter itemized deduction then the program will give you greater of either the Standard or Itemized deduction.

Standard deductions for 2019

• Single - $12,200 add $1,650 if age 65 or older
  • Married Filing Separately - $12,200 add $1,300 if age 65 or older
  • Married Filing Jointly - $24,400 add $1,300 for each spouse age 65 or older
  • Head of Household - $18,350 add $1,650 if age 65 or older

So I am doing my 2019 turbo tax return and enter my deductions except I never say one for my 65 and older for $1300 additional standard deduction.  I cannot itemize because based on my info turbo tax 2019 automatically tranformed my return to the standard deduction for married filed jointly.  Am I getting the 65 or older credit since I turned 65 in October 2019 or do I have to add it somewhere?  Can’t see were I am getting the additional deduction in turbo tax 2019? 

@RTJOB wrote:

So I am doing my 2019 turbo tax return and enter my deductions except I never say one for my 65 and older for $1300 additional standard deduction.  I cannot itemize because based on my info turbo tax 2019 automatically tranformed my return to the standard deduction for married filed jointly.  Am I getting the 65 or older credit since I turned 65 in October 2019 or do I have to add it somewhere?  Can’t see were I am getting the additional deduction in turbo tax 2019? 

The standard deduction is automatic and if your date of birth was entered correctly in the My Info section, the additional amount for being age 65 or older will be added to the standard deduction.

Look at your tax return Form 1040 Line 9

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the screen. Click on Tools. Click on View Tax Summary. Click on Preview my 1040 on the left side of the screen.

It is there on line 9.  Standard deduction for married filing jointly is $24,400 + the $1,300 for the 65 and older deduction came to $25,700.  Thanks very much for this answer otherwise it was and is not transparent.

jstanley

I have Turbotax Premier.  I want to enter the standard deduction and skip entering all the itemized deductions.  How do I do that?

BarbaraW22
Expert Alumni

As DoninGA stated above, TurboTax will automatically enter the standard deduction on your tax return if you do not enter any itemized deductions. You can just skip adding any information in the "Deductions and Credits" section, scroll down to the bottom and click on "Wrap up tax breaks." TurboTax will provide you with the amount of your standard deduction on the next screen.

@jstanley

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Schatzemolly
Returning Member

Your standard deduction on the program is incorrect..married filing jointly and 2 over 65 should be 27400.

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

$27,400 will be the standard deduction for MFJ with both over 65 on 2020 returns.  The standard deduction for Married filing Jointly for 2019 tax returns is:

Your standard deduction starts at $24,400.

• Add $1,300 if you were born before January 2, 1955.
  • Add $1,300 if your jointly-filing spouse was born before January 2, 1955.
  • Add $1,300 if you were blind as of December 31, 2019.
  • Add $1,300 if your jointly-filing spouse was blind as of December 31, 2019.

@Schatzemolly

I just filed my taxes and I got the standard deduction the only thing is I’m not 65+ me and my wife are 23-24 and got deductions of $24k is that normal?  How can I change that if I already submitted it? 

VictorW9
Expert Alumni

Yes, it is normal. The new Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA) almost double the standard deduction for family of four than before 2018. Now for 2019, the standard deduction for a married couple filing joint is 24,400.

For anyone else reading this......

For 2019 the standard deduction amounts are:

Single 12,200 + 1,650 for 65 and over or blind

HOH 18,350 + 1,650 for 65 and over or blind

Joint 24,400+ 1,300 for each 65 and over or blind

Married filing Separate 12,200 + 1,300 for 65 and over or blind

wsummer

how do i override a standard deduction on a sr-1040 return and use itemized deduction?  thanks.

The standard deduction is automatic and if your date of birth was entered correctly in the My Info section, the additional amount for being age 65 or older will be added to the standard deduction.

Look at your tax return Form 1040 Line 9

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the screen. Click on Tools. Click on View Tax Summary. Click on Preview my 1040 on the left side of the screen.

MayaD
Employee Tax Expert

TurboTax will select the deduction that is best for you. Follow the steps if you want to itemize your deductions:

1. Log in to your account.
  2. Go to Federal Taxes.
  3. Go to Deductions and Credits.
  4. Scroll all the way down and click Wrap up tax breaks.
  5. Continue to the screen Based on what you just told us, the Standard (itemized)  Deduction is best for and change your deduction.
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies