turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

devinesh

Special Needs Trust Distributions

Good afternoon,

If a Special Needs Trusts purchases a residence for the benefit of the trust beneficiary,  the funds used to purchase the residence will not be treated as a distribution to the beneficiary (ies), correct? These funds were transferred directly from the trust account to the property escrow account.

Thanks,

Sean D

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

jtax
Level 10

@taxes4sumting that link gets a 404 error.

I concur that you should ask an estate and trusts attorney.

It believe it would depend upon who owns the resident. If the trust still owns the residence but the beneficiary uses it the purchase would not be income, but the use might be in some way.

If the trust does not own the house but the beneficiary does, then I suspect the distribution will be treated like any other trust distribution. Most income is carried out (dividends, interest) and to the extent of that income, the bene has income. Beyond that it distributions are probably principal and therefore gifts. Gifts are not subject to income tax (but there could be gift or inheritance taxes ... not likely to apply these days).

But again I concur, as your estate/trust attorney for the answer that applies in your situation

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Yeah, I can't get that "product key removed" out of that link. Point is that you've got to be careful with distributions from these things if the bene is getting government benefits like medicaid or SSI because they could be jeopardized.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies